Comcast/Linksys Router Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comcast/Linksys Router Problems

Well My cable modem has been down since Friday/Saturday and now I'm back up and running sunday night. The problem I'm having now is that I can't get my Linksys router to work with the modem. I tried Dr. Mordid's suggestions in his thread..but I'm not a Mediaone convert..I'm coming from the Comcast@home side of the house. Anyone else have any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

What kind of error(s) do you you get?
    chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Basicly I can't connect to the internet using the Router. I've checked my IP addresses using ipconfig in the WinXP command line and I'm not picking up anything that I would need of the modem to connect up to the internet with (DNS or IP addresses)

Scott
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I had the same problem when I first switched over.

All I can suggest is setting up comcast.net as the Host in the router setups, rebooting then doing a Release/Renew of your IP from Windows.

For those who don't know;

In Win9x you would do a Release/Renew using Start/Run/Winipcfg.exe.

In WinNT/2k/XP you would open the Command Prompt and type IPCONFIG. This should now give you the current host (comcast.net), IP, subnet mask and gateway. You can do a Release/Renew by typing;

IPCONFIG IP /release
        IPCONFIG IP /renew

Release/Renew can also, I believe, be done from Comcasts support software...but it may contain spyware. The Ad-Ware utility can take care of that if this is true. It's on most D/L sites and I highly recommend it.

IF you have more than one NIC in your system another whole can of worms opens up. The KB article on this is here;

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 January 2002, 21:14.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Try going to the advanced tab of the router and use the MAC addr clone option. Enter the MAC address of your installed NIC. Reset the router by either a quick press of the reset button or preferably remove power from the router for 10 seconds and then plug it back in.

If COMCAST is doing like ATT they are allocating permissions by MAC address instead of Hostname like @HOME did. If this is the case your cabel modem already has one MAC address "provisioned" against it.

An added benefit would be, as you are now discovering. Your "primary" PC's NIC MAC address is already valid and should the router fail the change back to direct connection would be "transparent"

I had a very simular experience when ATT split. It worked for me I hope the same for you.
          Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

When I was with Comcast they did use the adapters MAC addy
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X