Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems...! MSP/VirtualDub

Hi people,
    I can't take it anymore...I just can't do what I want, everywhere i run into a wall it seems.

I used PC-VCR to record a 2-hr movie a couple of days ago (several AVIs). Some dropped frames but who cares for now, this is just a learning experience. NOW I want to do something that seems simple: record the thing to VHS smoothly (no pauses between AVIs) and preferably with the addition of a bit of reduced brightness and contrast (my test recording came out too bright on the TV).

I've got the following software: MPS LE version and VirtualDub. In both I've been having problems. NOTE: I've got only a couple hundred Mega left, so making a copy of what I have is not an option.

MSP: I decided the easiest thing to do would be to use cutlist editing (that is, full-quality previewing - why is it called cutlist??) since that plays back smoothly once the preview file has been calculated.
    Only, how do I play it back with the addition of an altered brightness/contrast? I looked in the help, and what do I see? They talk about a brightness/contrast dialog box without mentioning where it is, and I'll be darned if I can find one ANYwhere in the menus/tools.
    Is this a limitation of the learning edition?? If so, why is it documented as being there?

VirtualDub: seems like it solves the filter problem, that's its strong point. I can preview the output and see the brightness filter I added in effect right there.
    But now there are other serious problems:
    1) audio and video are slightly out of synch
    when I push the play (preview) buttons, both the IN and OUT previews. My preferences are all set up to match the AVIs I have as input.
    2) I can't even load in all of the AVIs that I captured using PC-VCR; when I choose 'Append segment' in the FILE menu, for about every second AVI file it tells me that it 'cannot append segment' because it's not from the same video clip! And yet I CAN open them individually....and they WERE created automatically when I captured using PC-VCR.
    3) Last but not least, I can't figure out what to do once I've got my filter(s) set up! What do I need to do to play back a filtered version to VHS? I can't find any button or menu item like 'Go', or 'Start processing' or something. I can only preview...the documentation doesn't explicitly say how to actually start something once you're set up.

But of course keep in mind that
    - I don't have much disk space left
    - the A/V seems to be jittery during preview AND more importantly out of synch. Is this normal?

Can anyone please help me get a filtered copy of my AVI-chain to VHS?
    Thanks!!
    Adrian

Just a note on VirtualDub, to actually make it "work", simply save (F7).

Comment

Working...
    X