Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new socket a motherboard

Hi everyone!

I need some advice on wich socket a motherboard to buy..

There are almost to many to choose from...
    I know I want ddr.

Please help me!

/Leo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
    Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
    Lian-Li PC60
    Windows XP Pro 64bit

Lets see.....

The Tyan Tiger MP http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigermp.html

is on my upgrade list once I can swing it.
    Just a thought.......

-Dil
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Epox 8kha+ works out of the box unlike some other via boards I could mention. However these don't have onboard raid.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

However these don't have onboard raid.
        Which is a good thing!
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I bought an Asus A7V266-E simply for two reasons:

1. Stability
          2. 8 IDE devices(though currently I am using striping so only 6 IDE devices

oh and 3. I've owned Asus Mobo's since forever now and they are the best, plain and simple.

They are expensive though. EPOX seems to have a good board on their hands although I haven't seen one in person yet. It is the cheapest too. I would stay away from Abit. I don't knwo about the rest.

Dave

oh and Greebe, what is wrong with RAID?
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

i just got a soyo dragon + which rules.

loads of extras as well.

built in 10 100 ethernet
            built in soundcard (a good one not crappy) + it supports 5 speakers so you can have dolby 5.1
            2 raid ide ports so 8 devices
            2 cd's of software that is actually useful - norton ghost, anti virus etc

+ it won toms hardwares run of 13 mobos with the kt266a chip
            --
            TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
              I bought an Asus A7V266-E simply for two reasons:

1. Stability
              2. 8 IDE devices(though currently I am using striping so only 6 IDE devices

oh and 3. I've owned Asus Mobo's since forever now and they are the best, plain and simple.

They are expensive though. EPOX seems to have a good board on their hands although I haven't seen one in person yet. It is the cheapest too. I would stay away from Abit. I don't knwo about the rest.

Dave

oh and Greebe, what is wrong with RAID?
              I know i'm not Greebe but ....

I don't like RAID because ....

1. You cant switch from one RAID controller to another without reformatting !
              2. You can't un-RAID without reformatting ( The same goes for NTFS )!
              Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
              incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

There's nothing wrong with raid... just that it's onboard which has always given me the Heebee Geebee's!

If one comes out without the OMG WTF factor... then maybe I'll change my mind.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

ASUS is my personal Motherboard Nemesis 1!

They are the only motherboards who will refuse to POST if any of the "LED" conectors is turned the wrong way....

Normaly the "Led" won't operate:

IE: No blinking light on HDD access...

But with a "SuperStable" ASUS card you end up with a black screen and a crawing for a sharp axe!! (To use on nearest ASUS ingeneer...)
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I have seen the epox in life, helped my friend building a rig with it. It's good and stable.

I would get the ASUS though, good, stable bla bla bla. And the Soyo looks very interesting.

Comment

I've had good results with Asus in the past, but this time I decided to go with the MSI K7T266Pro2 (Non-raid version). It's been really good so far, aside from an IDE problem that was fixed with a bios update about a week after I bought it. It's been rock stable ever since.
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

the epox 8kha+ is the best out there at present. dont touch on board raid as it can go wrong and often takes the whole motherboard with it. tou may be better off delaying your buying decision untill the release of motherboards compatible with the all new pc2700 come out which should be soon although no-one seems to know when exactly. if you want raid then you should be able to get a pci card such as the iWill raid 100 for about £35. dont know of a swedish suplier but i the uk you can get them here:

Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.

happy buying!
                        is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                        Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Working...
                        X