Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we EVER going to see another high-end card from Matrox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we EVER going to see another high-end card from Matrox?

I was reading a review of the Kyro III today (was quite old, but never mind) and it reckoned that Matrox had left the high-end gaming market for good.
    Now, I refuse to buy Nvidia, and ATi doesn't really blow my whistle either.
    What I'm hoping to know is that whether I can merely HOPE to see the release of a new Matrox card, sometime in the next 12-18 months, that I can pair up with my Dual Hammer system when the time comes.

I'm not asking for a date, or a product brief, or anything like that.. just a simple Yes/No on whether Matrox will be producing another high-end gaming/workstation card at some point in the foreseeable future.

Please?
    We seldom attribute common sense except to those who agree with us.

Yes
    Of course my saying so means absolutely nothing at all but you asked for it.
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

TdB

i wouldn´t expect a high-end matrox card BEFORE directx9, but i do expect one.
      This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Has anyone @Matrox actually said, "Yes, we're still going to give you another card", at any time since they "cancelled" the G800??

Or, I guess more significantly, has anyone said there won't be one?

I think it's about time that Matrox let us know, definitely, one way or the other, whether or not to expect a new card, as there are going to be one hell of a lot of ectremely f****ed off people who have waited around faithfully for a new card, only to be told after many months of diligence to F*** Off.
        Last edited by a13antichrist; 2 January 2002, 13:56.

Comment

They didn't cancel the G800... they renamed it G550 DOH!
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

TdB

Has anyone @Matrox actually said, "Yes, we're still going to give you another card", at any time since they "cancelled" the G800??
            well, this is as close as it gets:

I'm pretty confident that we'll release something in 2002. Can't say more than that
            ------------------
            Haig
            Matrox Graphics
            Technical Support Manager

read it all here:

Comment

Ahh. Well that's definitely something. Great stuff.

Comment

I'm not holding my breath anymore.
                Once the Radeon 8500DV drops in price, I'm probably going with that. Matrox has just been basically using the same graphics core and tweaking it and calling it new products, while the speed actually drops... sniff.. so sad.

Marketecture can only go so far

Comment

Originally posted by CaineThanatos:

my wanted card[s] from Matrox
                  - The Core running at a speed of 300 Mhz , 350 Mhz [MAX ]
                  - 6 pixel units
                  - per pixel unit 2 texture units, each texture unit capable of 4 textures in one pass OR one texture unit but which is capable of doing 8 textures in one pass

- 350(700) Mhz DDR RAM , 400(800) Mhz DDR RAM [MAX]
                  - maybe even QDR (who knows )
                  - some memory bandwith saving technology
                  - Programmable T&L [Duh]
                  - vertex shader (on the g550 u guys had already a better version than a GF3 so , keep it up)
                  - 2 pixelsshaders
                  - and lets say 90 - 120 million polygons a second
                  - 3d textures + compression
                  - shadow buffers [or something like that to create realtime lighting scenes]

- other things I forgot
                  - tv out , or dual head
                  - in case of dualhead 2 ramdac's

well thats it :P
                  what you think of the specs :]
                  and Haig's reply:
                  <h4>You aren't too demanding </h4>
                  Is this sarcasm or is there still hope for us MatroxUsers ?

Comment

Do I give off that impression?

Haig

Comment

Which impression, the "hope" impression or the "sarcastic" impression =?
                      Never mind, just make sure that your upcoming product impresses us

Comment

these specs aren´t unreal, i can´t see why matrox can´t make a card with those specs.
                        i would actually expect them to include something unique no other card can do, can you say "dx9-features"

they did mention displacement mapping some time ago.

Comment

I'm sad to say but I've already given up on the hope that Matrox would any time soon deliver an up to date graphics board for the gaming community. So far I've had two major disappointments and the G550 being what it is I couldn't believe they didn't have anything better than that to release...

Of course I'm going to stick with my trustee G400MAX as long as it is humanly possible (for obvious reasons), since I'm not exactly a hard core gamer anyways. But the times when I do fire up a game I'd like to have decent fram rates with decent details etc... I'm not looking for a GeForce killer or something like that, but just a decent modern graph card that could do a little more than barely run Nethack (ok that was sarcasm .
                          Idiots try to maintain order - A genius can control chaos.

Comment

Read this Mavericc

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest

Is this sarcasm or is there still hope for us MatroxUsers ?
                              hmm, copy-paste from GF4 specs. I would like to see that card from Matrox, but with these specs it would probably take like 2 years to release. And by this time you should multiply those figures with 5 to get normally running games.
                              But i am pretty sure that matrox will release a new card, because g400-g550 can't produce decent fps and rivals have gone so much further.
                              February-April we are going to see new card with at least GF3 specs i hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X