Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H/W MJPEG Codec

Hi,

I have Matrox Mavel G400 running on a dualboot XP/98 system. I use 98 to capture video, and was planning to use XP for editing. I have PICVideo MJPEG codec installed on my XP. For some reason I cant seem to open my captured files on XP. Once i open it WMP showes me a warning and then a reboot. Can some one help me to fix this problem.

Thank You

You must install a software MJPG codec in XP and tell it to decode all "dmb1" avi's. MJPG codecs are available from Pegasus, Morgan, Mainconcept...
    Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Hi Vivoc,

I assume under 98 you use the Matrox hardware MJPEG codec to capture your files? If so, this codec is not supported in XP thanks to the great wisdom of the MATROX support policy politics. As such it does not know they can be played back using the Picvideo codec.

Your system though, what speed is it and what CPU? If you have anything faster then a PIII at about 700Mc you should be able to capture using the Picvideo codec in 98 at highest quality 20. In that case you don't have the compatibility problems at all. If not fast enough, you could lower the quality a little bit and see the results yourself. My old PII-450 could capture at quality 18 with only about 5 framedrops in every hour, which is certainly acceptable I'd guess.

There is a utility which can change the signature in each video file which is used by windows to recognise which codec is needed for playback. You could use that to change the signature from that of Matrox hardware MJPEG to Picvideo MJPEG codec. I don't remember the utilties name though. I thought though it was in the download section of the old MURC forum from "This Idiot"? So it should be in this one somewhere as well.

I'll see if I still have it and let you know. The best and easiest solution though is to use your Picvideo codec in both 98 and XP.

Regards, Leon

Comment

it's here

You will have to change the FourCC id everytime that you switch between OS's if you plan to open it in each. There is an easier way in Win98, where you associate the FourCC id with the codec, but I am not sure about how to do it in Win2k, let alone WinXP.
        WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

It is a simple registry hack. If you download the current YUY2 patch for Windows 2000, it has an option that allow you to select the codec for dmb1. That is a one-time process. I assume it works in XP,too. You must be logged-on as supervisor, though...
          Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

FD
            where could I find the Windows 2000 ver. of the YUY2-patch.

In W98 I am using, for a long time ago the YUY2-patch (332 kB)
            Now I am running the W2K too in combination of PD 5.39 + VT 2.04 (leaked) Do I need any YUY2-patch?

Fred H
            It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
            ------------------------------------------------

Comment

umm what?

i capture in xp using the hardware mjpeg codec. but when i play back, it uses the picvideo mjpeg codec. if you guys need to do all that stuff mentioned above - what the hell have i done on mine?
              --
              TJ

Comment

Working...
              X