G400 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 review

Yeah I know that its old news but I thought I would write an article on the G400 for my first attempt at writing a review. So any criticisms are welcome and if you think it would be good enough to put on MURC let me know.

The page is here www.dsp.shawbiz.ca

Thanks again for any comments.

dsp
    1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
    512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
    MSI 845PE FISR
    8.4GB Quantum CR
    40GB Maxtor 5400
    MSI 40X12X48
    Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
    SB Audigy
    Parhelia (210/600)
    19" Dell P991
    Win2kPro
    Intel Gigabit Network

Not a bad review, but in the future you need to make more comparisons with other video cards. I know, its tough to get several different video cards from different manufacturers, you need good resources and strong connections.

-X-
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Comment

DSP

Nice clean HTML.

Two suggestions.

1. Navigation:

You may wish to provide either:
      - an index, so people can easily navigate your ten-page review, OR
      - one long page, like <a href="http://www.dansdata.com/ltgf2.htm">Dan does it</a>.

2. Benchmarks:

You don't _have_ to include them.

If you do, please provide an detailed analysis of _why_
      each benchmark came out the way it did. <a href="http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?section=news&AID=RWT050101101609">Dean Kent</a> explains:

... Most people just do not see these benchmarks as what they are – tools for measuring specific things. If you don’t really know what a particular tool is measuring, how can you use it effectively? I may be able to tell that system A is faster than system B, but the real question is why is it faster, and will that affect me?

Right now, most publications put a lot of weight in game benchmarks, and while there is a significant population of gamers, these are by no means the most important applications for the vast majority of PC users – particularly those who use their computers in a professional capacity. If a system runs Quake twice as fast as another, what does that mean to someone who doesn’t play Quake? What other applications have the same resource usage that Quake does? Unless the benchmarks use your applications, in the way that you use them, or there is a way to directly correlate the usage to the application you use, the results are only an approximation of what you will see at best. When those results are within 10% of each other, with a margin of error of 3% to 5%, and they are simply an approximation of what you will see in your usage… what can you conclude? Certainly not that A is ‘clearly better’ or ‘substantially faster’ than B.

Comment

Thanks to all who have read it so far.

Orangejulius, I didn't put in any major index page because I was hoping to put it on another (actual) review site. Thanks for that link to Benchmarking, it was very helpfull.

Thanks again.

dsp
        MSI 845PE FISR
        8.4GB Quantum CR
        40GB Maxtor 5400
        MSI 40X12X48
        Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
        SB Audigy
        Parhelia (210/600)
        19" Dell P991
        Win2kPro
        Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

Just a tiny factual error..

"Matrox's first attempt at the 3D gaming world was the Matrox M3D"

Nope, the Mystique was. The Millennium had 3D functions too, but the Mystique was the first card targetted at gamers.

Comment

albatorsk,

Thanks for that I'll change that right away.

dsp
            MSI 845PE FISR
            8.4GB Quantum CR
            40GB Maxtor 5400
            MSI 40X12X48
            Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
            SB Audigy
            Parhelia (210/600)
            19" Dell P991
            Win2kPro