G550 quality at very high resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G550 quality at very high resolutions

I own a G400 (300 mhz RAMDAC) and I'd like to run my new monitor at 1856 x1392. The G400 struggles at this resolution in 2 respects

- max refresh rate about 75 hz
    - lack of sharpness as refresh rate increases towards its maximum

I know that the G550 spec sheet says that it can refresh at 85hz at this resolution but what is the quality like?

Anyone with practical experience?

The lack of sharpness may not be your G400 struggling, it may be your monitor or your video cable.

What kind of monitor is it?

Does your monitor have BNC connections? If so, use them. When you push into the upper resolutions, the DB15 wiring can cause noticable interference.

Also, overclocking your RAMDAC is an option to try this higher resolution/refresh rate. It's going to push your video card out of spec though. You may wish to just get a G400MAX or a G550.

I wouldn't rush out and buy a video card yet though. IMO, it is the least likely culprit.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Its an Iiyama VM Pro 512 (AH202DT). It does not have BNC connections.

With my last Iiyama monitor (17") the BNC connections had significantly poorer quality than the DB15 cable. Iiyama say that with their cables there is no benefit using BNC which is why they have not included it on their newer monitors (though I'm sure others would beg to differ)

Comment

With as many times as other users have reported that their Iiyama monitor cable was defective... and Iiyama replaced it for free, I'd really be hesitant to believe their claims
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X