Athlon XP 2000+ Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon XP 2000+ Review

...and it's said to be faster than the Intel Pentium 4 2gHz processor by a considerable margin:

Now to find out if it can do DVD resolution MPEG2 capture in real-time...
    AMD Athlon-C 1200MHz
    512MB Crucial PC133 CAS2
    MSI K7T Turbo
    45GB IBM Deskstar 75GXP
    Plextor Ultraplex 40x
    Matrox G400 16MB Dualhead
    Matrox RRG add-on
    19" Samsung SyncMaster 955DF
    GNU/Linux (and Windows 2000 Professional)

Comment

A Tbird at 1.4gHz will beat a P4 @2gHz in almost every benchmark... so it's not suprising at all the a 2gHz XP cpu will beat the same chip from Intel
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
        A Tbird at 1.4gHz will beat a P4 @2gHz in almost every benchmark... so it's not suprising at all the a 2gHz XP cpu will beat the same chip from Intel
        It's not really 2GHz. It's 1.67GHz I think. Still, it doesn't change the fact that it is faster.
        AMD Athlon-C 1200MHz
        512MB Crucial PC133 CAS2
        MSI K7T Turbo
        45GB IBM Deskstar 75GXP
        Plextor Ultraplex 40x
        Matrox G400 16MB Dualhead
        Matrox RRG add-on
        19" Samsung SyncMaster 955DF
        GNU/Linux (and Windows 2000 Professional)

Comment

Oh excuse me for the typo... it's that BS PR rating thing
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I love Athlon processors (and I'm a first time convert, since I'm using a 1.33Ghz T-Bird as my first, overclocked to 1.55Ghz of course), but I wish that they'd do away with that blasted PR rating thing, since it gets me a bit confused too. I've found myself having to look up the actual clock speeds when my friends ask now, lol.

Anyway, I can't wait until May. I'll finally be able to afford another motherboard and processor upgrade then.
            "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
            Gainward Ti4600
            AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I didn't say everything... but most things that consumers want and do... yes it does

Comment

Whoa that's interesting!

the post above was sent after Jerrolds and yet it's above with the correct timestamp... server got a hiccup Ant?

Comment

Greebe wrote:

"A Tbird at 1.4gHz will beat a P4 @2gHz in almost every benchmark... so it's not suprising at all the a 2gHz XP cpu will beat the same chip from Intel"

I use a Thunderbird 1.4gHz.

I also use a Pentium 4 1.7gHz.

What you state is not accurate:

I like my 1.4gHz Thunderbird machine, though.

It rocks.

Comment

Anandtech's tests concluded the Pentium 4 2gHz chip was too expensive, but in many benchmarks it did outperform the Athlon 1.4, but not in all of them, however.

Still, the 2gHz Pentium 4 did better in many "consumer" tasks:

Comment

OMG he said Anandt*ch! lol

Comment

I was referring to the *site* - it's

News and reviews of PC components, smartphones, tablets, pre-built desktops, notebooks, Macs and enterprise/cloud computing technologies.

Anyway, I'm the one who is LOL as you were the one proven to have made a largely inaccurate claim about the 1.4gHz Thunderbird relative to its performance against the Pentium 4 2gHz.

Ha!

Comment

ROTFLMAOATPMP (check out this genius)

Comment

Jerrold, sorry but I have to disagree.
                            You can sure have different opinions about the quality of analtech' reviews (they're at least better than THG, IMO), but even in the test you linked to, the AthlonC 1.4GHz is beating the P-IV 2GHz in nearly all tests that are important to the "average" user.
                            The only tests where the P-IV won were:

- QIII (O.K., this is the only test that does matter to the average user)
                            - DroneZ
                            - The INet content creation SysMark2001, which is flawed, since the result of one test (WME, patched specifically to look good on the P-IV) dominates the total result - MadOnion tactics, anyone?

The people I know that are into video-capturing/-editing are NOT using WME at all, but DivX, TsunamiMPEG and various other encoders.

The take into account that this was not an AthlonXP@1.4 GHz (would be a 1600+) and they used a very questionable mainboard for the Athlon: the el-cheapo ECS SIS735 board, really not the fastest out there and for sure not the most stable when you have a high clocked CPU.
                            We have not even mentioned price yet...
                            Last edited by Indiana; 6 January 2002, 14:41.
                            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                            My System
                            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                            German ATI-forum

Comment

And Ulead MSPro is one of the few apps that has had support for SSE2 on the PIV from the get-go. If it didn't I don't think you'd see those types of results. You don't from hardly anything else.

AlgoRhythm

Comment

Working...
                              X