Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with direct paralel conection (laplink)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with direct paralel conection (laplink)

Hi there guys

I did got a notebook for christmas and while I´m waiting for setting up a domestic LAN, I did bought a paralel laplink cable. All went well (winXP pro on the main PC and XP home on the presario 700EA), but connection is VERY slow. It´s detected as a 4 Mbit connection, but it´s tranfering data at a estimated 64 Kbyte/sec, and when connected the cpu is at 100% on both pc´s and everything is sloooow (even the mouse stalls).

Ok, it eventually gets the job done, but for tranfering something like 1 Gb of data I´m better burning a couple CD´s...

Both parallel ports are at EPP/ECP.

I really don´t know much of networking (this is, almost nothing at all ) but I was expecting a faster connection (isn´t the paralell port able to transfer around 1000 Kb/sec of data?).

Thanks.

Do both parallel ports have an IRQ assigned to them? You need that for good bidirectional communication.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hi Nuno,

I think you can forget about the 4Mbit, as I recall it the limit of the parallell port is 1,2 Mbit, equalling 150 Kb/sec.

And the software used will have it´s roll. I once used Laplink software and had about the same speed as you´ve got now, with the same kind of setup, and when I switched to PC Anywhere I got a whopping 80 Kb/sec. (Win 98SE on both machines).

Having in mind that the 150 Kb/sec is a theoretical maximum sustained speed, I dont think you can realistically count on much more than half of that.

Anyway, happy new year to you and the rest of the gang.

rubank

Comment

Thanks. I was expecting too much, I see

Comment

Working...
        X