Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help : TV-out, g550 & winXP

Hi,
    I have a quite big problem. I would like to use my TV watching videos via DVDmax. I had the g400max before i bought the g550, with the g400max everything just works, i had some kind of an additional meu where i could make the settings for the TV (PAL/NTSC and so on). Everythig was fine with the g400.

So now with the g550:
    I plugged the TV via the TV-out cable(adapter?) to my computer.
    So my g550 tells me that there is something like a TV or a monitor.
    OK. Now I would use the TV, but it is still black....
    Nothing really works Clone/Multimonitoring/DVDmax.
    The TV is correctly set up, i know this because I didn't used it after I had it used with G400max.

Sorry for my bad english but I hope there are no problems to see where the problem is.

Thanks.
    Ciao
    segg

PS:
    DVDmax : it says : activated but at the moment not active ??
    How can I really activate it?
    Last edited by segg; 31 December 2001, 06:11.

Try setting the desktop res to 1024x768 16 bit... DVDMax works off of Overlay.

Q are you using the Adapter cable from the G400 or the one for the G550? (there is a difference)
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

hmm I am using 1600x1200 and I think that I used the same resulotion too with the g400max. Yes Iam using the old adapter calbe because I have the OEM version.
      What is the differnce? This could be my problem or?

Comment

that overlay worked in 1600x1200 with DVDMAX on the G400 isn't a guarantee that it will also work on the G550. Please try 1024x768x16 as greebe suggested (if you don't agree, try it just for the sake of troubleshooting).

The break-out cable of the G400 and G450/G550 are quite different, thus you need the correct one. You also need to swap outputs when using a monitor+tv if I can remember correctly on the G550 (can someone else jump in?).

Comment

i tried with the lower resulotion but still TV black
          I read about that thing with switching the output but it also didn't work at all.
          I still miss the one menu where you can set the TV up for PAL/NTSC and so on was this a feature of the g400 ?
          I am a bit confused now, why was it so easy with the g400 and now the new g550 do such a thing to me...

I think it is the wrong cable that makes my life so hard... damn if I only could get my old G400max back... argh

Comment

it's the cable that's the problem
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Yepp.. I see.

Thank you all anyway...
              But one final question what would you recommend me G550 or G400max?

Comment

Both have their merits... Max is a bit faster with real EMBM; G550 has a better secondary head

Comment

ok I will think about that, but my other monitor isn't so good that I would need more power for higher resulotions.
                  Thank you.

Ciao and happy new year.

segg

Comment

Hi:

Related to this topic... something I have always wondered about but never have seen an explaination for...

The real world NTSC maximum resolution is equivalent to a bit LESS than 800x600 on a computer monitor.

What is the point of trying to send a resolution of any higher than 800x600 to a TV when it can't even fully handle that let alone 1024x768 or 1600x1200!

Am I missing something here?
                    WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
                    1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

Originally posted by fleabus2
                      Hi:

Related to this topic... something I have always wondered about but never have seen an explaination for...

The real world NTSC maximum resolution is equivalent to a bit LESS than 800x600 on a computer monitor.

What is the point of trying to send a resolution of any higher than 800x600 to a TV when it can't even fully handle that let alone 1024x768 or 1600x1200!

Am I missing something here?
                      well, it's not really that much related, as the original poster wanted dvd-max to work in 1600x1200, so it's not trying to output the whole desktop contents, but just the video overlay, which typically won't be larger than 720x576 (in case of PAL).

In case of NTSC it's 480 lines of vertical resolution, so when you output over 640x480, you will lose information that you try to output, in all cases except 688x480 in case of the G400 and probably something like 720x480 in case of the Gx50 (the maximum horizontal resolution that can be converted to analogue tv output).

What's the use of outputting in Clone mode at higher resolutions? You can still put more on your desktop while outputting to TV (though on the TV you will lose the extra definition).

Comment

Working...
                      X