Problem: Win2k Network/DNS issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem: Win2k Network/DNS issues

I've gots Win2k, no SP installed, and I am having DNS problems. When I first boot up things may or may not work properly. Today when booting, IE gave me trouble....reboot.

Anyhow, the real issue lies with DNS. Sometimes things will be fine, other times things will go awry. My connectivity is patchy within any few minute window.

Problem: Pinging an IP explicity seems to work always, however DNS resolution doesn't work. I lose the table or something and cannot access sites/computers thru names.

Steps taken to resolve: Disable network then re-enable. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It can take a while before it decides to work again.

Hardware/programs related: Win2k (as stated), only running TCP/IP and Sharing, 3Com 3C509b-TPO (ISA) network card, Netgear Cable/DSL Router w/Switched network, WebWasher, ping, IE, ICQ.

Roomate is running Win98, runs through the same firewall to the same TimeWarner *cough cough* cable access....and his works fine all the time. I have only started having problems with this in the last 2 weeks.

I haven't done anything to the system in a long time. Recently I began having issues where IE would occasionally just die when I first booted. I would open it up, it would open, then just stop responding. Woulnd't use any processor, would just sit there. The only resolution is a reboot, it wouldn't work otherwise. This issue doesn't happen all the time.

Any help is much appreciated, sorry if it's not the most coherent post.

b
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Have you tried pinging your DNS server when you have resolution errors? Get your ISP involved if it responds to ping but doesn't resolve a name query.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I automatically acquire DNS servers as well as use DHCP. I get my DHCP licenses from the router, but I'm not sure whether I get the DNS from the router or from Road Runner. I don't know the IP address of my DNS servers as a result of it. I believe we may have that information written down somewhere, maybe I should manually enter them rather than acquire?

One time I think I used ipconfig from the DOS prompt to release/renew my DHCP license, but I don't remember the effect.

Well, my roommate has his set manually to the old ones we used to use while in school. I might just set mine to point manually to those until I can find them correct ones for Road Runner.

It's been working like a champ today after it came back up this morning.

b
      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Simply record the IP address while your DNS server is responding. Use ipconfig /all to query for the DNS address. Its likely that you'll always get the same DNS server addresses each time you acquire them automatically.

Sounds like you have DHCP server problems.
        Last edited by xortam; 30 December 2001, 12:25.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

When I set it to automatic, the DNS server is just my gateway (router), which is same as DHCP.

I currently have DNS set manually, so hopefully that'll work. If I get any more problems with it I'll be sure to post.

My DHCP licenses appear to be fine, it's just DNS. Since I don't know a lot about DHCP, maybe somebody could enlighten me. Does DHCP control DNS as well?

b

Comment

If your Router is serving as DHCP server, it likely also serves as a primary DNS for your zone. Somewhere in the router config there should be an option to define DNS servers for the WAN side of things. If a machine is not in the local zone, it will defer to those DNS servers automatically. So...

You could just set primary DNS to be the regular ISP server, and secondary to be the old Uni server, and set clients to use DNS and IP from DHCP.

Comment

Although it seems to be working ok, I'll try that out when I get home.

Thanks.

b

Comment

I've got a netgear cable modem router too (RT 311) and I have the same DNS problems. They way I fixed it is on each PC, set the DNS servers to my ISP's instead of auto setting it to the router.

Comment

- My ORINOCO radio-LAN card doesn't install in a plain W2K.
                  SP1 is needed. I have SP2 installed now.
                  - AMD760/761 chipset doesn't like Netgear.

Maybe it helps? It is a try to help, anyway

Fred H
                  It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                  ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X