Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn W2K NIC suport!

[RANT]
    I swapped a 3com 905-tx with a 3com 9055-TX and then back!

and then I was stuck with a malefunctioning "WAN IP miniport 2"

I deleted W2K and reinstalled!

So now everything works!

But why the d**** is W2K so anal about NIC cards

[/Rant]

My W2K instalation did need a refresshing

But W95B,98,98SE never had this crazy obsession with NIC's
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Funny that you had to re-install win2k to fix it I'd thought just deleting all the networking components and letting it re-install them would fix it.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Not to burst the bubble...

But thats exactly what I tried first....

Guess what??

It did not work....
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Now this is where you need to dive into the registry but don't ask me which keys needed editing.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Belive me, I did!

I searched trough that stupid garbage pile and tho I found interesting and horrible things I did'nt find the mysteriouse "Wan miniport 2"

Comment

Not to be an ass, but that was completely not necessary. You had several options. Nuking your networking (which you tried), safemode device manager nuking the nic, or booting with the win2k cd, and then repairing.

Rags

Comment

Not to pick a fight just for the sake of picking a fight Rags, but...

I have had several machines where a reinstall became necessary because multiple copies of the same adapter had been "confused" by Win2k.

I'm sure there are some registry keys somewhere that I could have hand-edited, but guess what? I don't know what they are... and it shouldn't be necessary. MS should fix the ****ing interface.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                Not to pick a fight just for the sake of picking a fight Rags, but...

I have had several machines where a reinstall became necessary because multiple copies of the same adapter had been "confused" by Win2k.

I'm sure there are some registry keys somewhere that I could have hand-edited, but guess what? I don't know what they are... and it shouldn't be necessary. MS should fix the ****ing interface.

- Gurm
                Not to pick a fight with you, but you are wrong in saying a complete reinstall is necessary. I, too, have had this exact problem several times on my laptops and my bench machine (they both get different NICs all the time). The worst case was a boot with the win2k cd, choose install, let it find the current install, then select that install, hit R for repair, go have a coke, smoke a few, and come back with it ready to go again. No reinstalling programs or applications...it's all pretty much like it was before the extra NIC info was there.

Rags

Comment

Well now I know a bit about what to do if I run into this again.

Comment

Rags, I did actualy all of those steps you describe....

Not one of them removed the "Wan miniport 2" or made it posible for me to get rid of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X