G450 or G550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G450 or G550?

i am looking to buy a Matrox board in order to hook up two monitors and edit video. I am thinking about buying Avid DV Express 2. Which video card would be a better buy for video editing?

Thanks

I haven't tried either, so I'm not able to comment from my own experience.

Elie and Doc should both have an idea. But if you're talking about buying a non-matrox capture card (ie digital), there are other cards out there that will give you a better bang-for-buck these days - the Gxxx architecture isnt exactly the latest and greatest.

Comment

Hi,

Just a FYI, but take a look at the Matrox Hardware section of MURC. You'll get lots of info on which Gxxx card is best. From what I have read, the G400MAX and G550 seem to have it all over the G450.

When looking outside of the realm of Matrox, consider that the DualHead capability of other cards may not be as nice. I have not seen the GeForce3 or Radeon 8500 in action with a TV as the 2nd output, but the previous generations of ATI/NVidia could not hold candle on Matrox.

Comment

I have just bought a Radeon 8500.

The dual head is quite good, but I think Matrox still have the edge. With 98SE, ME and XP you can get true multiple displays with independant refresh, res etc. With 2K you get a extended desktop with both monitors sharing the same res, refresh etc.

The XP, 2K and the latest beta 98/ME drivers all have problems setting refresh rates properly - most ppl have to use Power Strip to do this.

The TV out is quite good and you can get a full screen display, but it's a "mirror" of your monitors out (up to 800x600) - you don't get a "DVD Max" type feature. The quality is good (better than my old Voodoo 3), but not as good as my G400 Marvel or RT2K.

To use the TV as the second output you'd probably have to make this the primary display as the overlay probably won't work - although I have found that Media Player can use the overlay on either monitor, but other programs such as WinDVD can't :-(

However when it comes to games the 8500 is awesome ;-) This is where Matrox can't compete.... That reminds me RTCW here I come...

Rob.

Comment

Working...
        X