X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G550 is DEAD!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what happened...
    My G550 is dead... it seems...

I just upgraded BIOS on my Tyan TigerMP. Everything went fine, and then the computer doesn't boot any more.... Weird...

So, I figured that it was the BIOS update that screwed my computer... so, I took out my old mobo (Abit BE6-II), and I thought I will use this until I get my mobo replaced by Tyan.

Everything set up, and ready to go... I heard system beep, and then nothing!!!! Nothing comes to my monitor!!!!

So, I replaced the G550 with crappy S3/Trio AGP to see what happens... Voila!!! It boots fine!!!!

I have a dilemma here... To reason what happened... It seems like the mobo BIOS update that screwed G550, so it seems...

What do you guys think?

Anyways, I can't do anything until the new year... help me out and enlighten me... guys...

Thanks...
    OCP Certified Oracle 8i DBA.

Epox K8HA+ w/ AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 512 MB SamSung DDR 2100, 2 X IBM 40G 7200 rpm HD, Soundblaster Live! Audigy MP3+, Matrox Parhelia-512 128MB, Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM, Plextor 16X10X40 CD-RW, SamSung 900NF monitor, Lian-Li Aluminum PC Case.

It's more likely that the G550 just has a corrupt BIOS. Check the FAQs, there should be more info about reflashing it. It's easier if you have a PCI card to run from, but you can also use that AGP card, set up a boot floppy, and boot with the G550 in the slot.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply...

OK... Does this mean that I have to flash the BIOS in the dark? I should do this without knowing what goes on my computer... right?

I will give it a try... But, is this the typical symptom when the BIOS is corrupt? I don't get Video error beep, and no signal is coming to the monitor...

Again, thanks... I will be more than happy if I don't have to send it to Matrox... What a drag it will be...

Epox K8HA+ w/ AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 512 MB SamSung DDR 2100, 2 X IBM 40G 7200 rpm HD, Soundblaster Live! Audigy MP3+, Matrox Parhelia-512 128MB, Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM, Plextor 16X10X40 CD-RW, SamSung 900NF monitor, Lian-Li Aluminum PC Case.

Comment

Yes you'll have to it in the dark.
        When you run the recovery util from matrox you'll be asked to make a bootable floppy.
        With your other graphic card in go into motherboard bios and set it to boot from floppy if it isn't already set. Put in your Matrox card and boot and let it chug away.
        My abit kt133a used to corrupt my G400 on a regular basis it was just a bugger swapping cards around to make the recovery floppy as I kept loosing the orginal.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

OK... Thank you kindly...

Now, I want to make sure what I will do is right.

Now, I have my G200 in my box. If I make emergency diskette, will it have G200 BIOS backed up? Or, will it recognize the correct BIOS to apply when booted up with emergency diskette?

I remember someone posting about applying wrong BIOS by accidently leaving the emergency diskette in A:. This whole thing is not comforting...

Secondly, I am using Windows XP. I still have Win98 boot diskette. But since C: is NTFS, I have to make a separate diskette with all the files needed for BIOS recovery.

With one floppy, obviously I can't fit all the files in. The whole thing is more than 3MB. Which files do I have to put in the floppy to make it work?

It seems too complicated...

TIA everyone!!!

Comment

It worked!!!

I was really hesitant to do this with no screen. So, I figured I would try the second display port. Plugged the monitor in the second display, and booted up: I see the screen coming up!!!

From there, I did the BIOS update, and now it works perfectly.

I am so happy to see my G550 working!!!

Thanks very much for all your advices. Otherwise, I will be putting my G550 in the box.

Thank you all!!!

Comment

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well, that´s what we call MURC job well done.

Comment

Working...
                X