Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salvation Army: Taking over the World(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvation Army: Taking over the World(?)

No, Russia isn't corrupt, honest: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1722624.stm
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

urgh politics
    Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Anyone who would call the Salvation Army a subversive para-military organization needs to stop smoking those funny smelling cigarettes.

I can remember back around 1976 when we were living in a large apartment building (part of a larger complex) that caught fire in the middle of a sub-zero (Farenheit!!) Michigan January. The Salvation Army was almost there before the Fire Department!!

Over about 3 hours they brought in about 3 semi-tractor trailers full of supplies ranging from LARGE heated tents to emergency kitchens and food, clothes, shoes, coats and blankets for all those affected. They even had a heated shelter for those pets that made it out.

After it became clear the fire would total the building they handed out housing vouchers that any hotel in the area would take until the apartment building management found us empty apartments in other buildings or complexes to re-settle in. Once we had a place to stay they gave us furniture, beds, bedding & matresses, emergency cash, food and clothing vouchers to get us in gear until the insurance claims could be settled.

If anyone was doing God's work that night it was the Salvation Army. I have never forgotten their efforts and donate to them as often and as much as I can.

If there were ever an organization the Russians should WANT in their country it's the Salvation Army.

If the Russian Orthodox Church is at the root of this they should be ashamed of themselves.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 December 2001, 09:10.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

That truly is a shame.... They ARE a great bunch of prople.

One of their hostels/day centres was vandalised just before Christmas here, and people from all denominations rallies round to help.

RedRed
        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

I can speak first hand that the Salvation Army is by far one of the most helping, giving groups in the world. Although they are a strong christianity group(which I feel is their only downfall) they are extremely helpful to anyone. A good example of this is my Mom who volunteers at her local Salvation Army and runs a program that gets Women with children off the streets by teaching them to learn how to get jobs and write resumes and feel better about themselves and just plain get up in the morning and start the day off on the right foot. The class also teaches them about drug and alcohol dependencies and what they can do to get help with that as well. She teaches them about "Overcoming Roadblocks" which is the name of the class. There is no fee for the class, there is no duration of time for the class(you can stay as long or as short as you'd like), there is no age limit, no paperwork, just follow some simple everyday rules to your classmates about respect and have a willingness to learn and you can attend.
          This program has helped get a few hundred women back on there feet(find a place to live, get a job) over the last 3-4 years. It is such a succesful program that it is a model class for the several other Salvation Army locations.
          This is just one thing that is done there. Don't forget about the countless amounts of food, clothing, and other stuff that are handed out daily. No one is ever turned away for any reason.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
          X