Coaxial or optical for digital sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaxial or optical for digital sound?

Howdy all. This came up when I was hanging out back in the audio department, at BB where I rarely work, and noone back there could agree upon which was better for stereo hook-uping, coaxial or optical.

Anyone have any insight on this topic? I am terribly curious on the subject.

digital is digital... tho if those so called audiophiles would like to challange me on the dithering effect go right ahead

RG6 provides more than enough bandwidth for your purposes
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Errr... well,

A bad coaxial will cause inerferences to the signal (try using a non coaxial cable and turn on a neon light).
      An optical cable either works or not. Let's say it's much harder to cause interferences on optical data

Comment

If the cables are decent and make good connection, it makes no difference whatsoever. If anyone starts arguing about sound quality here, it's just mental masturbation for pseudointellectual audiophile wannabes..

There might be a preference among some for coaxial, simply because the connection is more positive, no other reason.

Comment

The issue in my mind isn't sound quality as much as compatibility. You have a greater chance of the components "disagreeing" or "not seeing each other" with optical. That said, there is no (zero) chance of interference on an optical connection.

So if optical works, use it. If not, coaxial should be fine. And the interference won't cause sound quality degradation anyway, but rather dropouts. Digital is digital, after all.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Dropouts are soud quality degradations aren't they. If what you hear is different from what is being output I call that degradation . But I know what you mean I'm just being an idiot.
            No work this week (though I'd rather they had paid me before Christmas Eve and worked today and tomorrow)
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

The only way any decient quality coax can have dropouts is if it's poorly terminated.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

You should go with optical cables with gold-plated connectors.

(yes, I realize the silliness in that statement - but there is a company pushing gold plated connectors on their optical cables - it cracked me up enough to post it here).

I've read nothing that leads me to believe that either medium of transporting digital signals is better than the other, all things being equal. Now, if cost is an issue, you can make your own coax cable for about $5. Try that with an optical cable...

Also, if the 2nd paragraph wasn't enough, please realize I was kidding with the first sentence.
                PIII 550@605
                IWill Motherboard VD133
                VIA Chipset
                512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                DirectX 8.0a
                SB Live! Value
                8x DVD (Toshiba)
                6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                3Com CMX Cable Modem
                Optiquest V95 19"
                HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                Microtek flatbed scanner
                Intellimouse Explorer
                Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

The arguement I heard against optical cables is when the recieving end has crappy photoelectric diodes, or the fiber isn't seated right, so all the information isn't sent/recieved correctly. That's the main reason people prefer coax, for the positive connection like several have said. I have personally never used the optical connection on my system, even though I have a few devices that could use it. I may test it one of these days. The cables are rather expensive...per say.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

From an ex-telecommunications tech who used to splice and test interstate trunk lines.

The fibre used in audio equipment – well all that I’ve run across here anyway seems fairly robust if seated properly. However I really don’t see any benefit in using it.

Coax you can make to your own length, specifications etc. much cheaper then you could even begin with fibre. For low bandwidth (compared to my last job) it doesn’t really make any difference (except cost) from a data standpoint.

Gold plated connectors – bwhahahahahahahahahaha

Dan
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

for what its worth (not much, anyway)

Can't say I've used Coax digital

but my 3foot optical cable from my cheapass GE/Thompson/RCA DVD player to my Cheapass Kenwood Digital (not DTS) receiver works OK.
                      ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

never used either but what hifi magazine which i think is the most widey read in the uk recommend coax over optical any day. cant verify that though.
                        is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                        Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

I use coax for digital audio. It tends to be more durable than optical cables, and as many said, you can easily make your own.

Comment

Home theater AV receiver, speaker, HDTV, television, projector and Blu-ray player reviews, buying guides, and high end audio and consumer electronics news

Comment

Oh lordeee...
                              1) Cable runs over 10ft

2) Cable runs in close proximity to video and power cords emanating RF noise
                              A 1.) over ten feet (3.3m) Bwahahahahahahaa... what a laugh... "digital cable" (like from the cable company) uses RG6 for runs that are 100's of feet long without impairment... why should more than 10 feet be an issue?

A 2.) If you make your digital interconnects with good quality RG6(or any high quality coax) then common mode noise won't be an issue... It is shielded! DOH!!!
                              (does this guy even know what common mode noise is... I think not!

Comment

Working...
                              X