Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosed G400 Max - Problem resolved !

The problem has been resolved by Rags. I did as he directed:

"Okay, now do this step by step and don't skip any step, and follow it exactly:

Install the 5.72 drivers by using the setup.exe that got extracted. Reboot. Goto add/remove programs and select Matrox Software and uninstall. Reboot. Click cancel when prompted for video card drivers, once into windows, run the setup.exe for the 5.82 beta drivers. Reboot. If the problem persists, goto add/remove programs, select Matrox Software and uninstall. Reboot. Click cancel when prompted for your video card drivers. Once in windows run the setup.exe for the 5.71 drivers, reboot. You should be good to go. If not, boot with the Win2K cd, choose install, and when it detects the current install, then choose repair. This way you don't have to format.

Rags"

The key was to reinstall the 5.71 drivers using the procedure stated above and to use the "OVERWRITE CURRENT PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENTS" option when prompted. This was the only time I was ever prompted to do that during this entire ordeal. After fixing my problem, I uninstalled 5.71 and installed 5.81 Beta drivers - No problems.

What is the lesson learned from this experience ? Don't set the overclock tweak to "permanent."

Once again, thanks to all who provided input and many thanks to Rags.

JL
    Base System:
    -Windows 2000 Professional SP2
    -Shuttle AV40/R with RAID & On-board Audio
    -Intel 1.6GHz P4 (running @ 1.76GHz)
    -512meg PC2100 DDR (DRAM Clock=133MHz)
    -Enermax EG365P-VE(FMA) PSU
    -Promise Ultra100TX2 IDE Controller
    -IBM Deskstar 75GPX - 30gig HDD
    -Quantum Fireball Plus AS - 10gig HDD
    -Pioneer Slot load DVD
    -Plextor 12/10/32x CD-RW
    -Matrox G400 Max AGP Videocard + DVI module
    -Sony SDM-N80 18.1" LCD Flat Panel Monitor (1280x1024)
    -SMC 7004BR Broadband Router
    -SMC 2655W 802.11b WAP
    -Cable Modem

When Rags isn't in a crabby mood, he can usually provide a solution to most peoples problems...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
      When Rags isn't in a crabby mood, he can usually provide a solution to most peoples problems...
      BAHHH!!! Get the hell off my lawn you little punk.

Rags

Comment

All is well when it ends well.

I was right after all...a Windows reinstall would have solved the problem - but that was the HARD way. Well done, Rags.

Comment

Originally posted by Rags

BAHHH!!! Get the hell off my lawn you little punk.

Rags
          Little punk?
          LITTLE PUNK?!?

Why you scrawny, bozo shoe wearing, little pre-pubecent twit...why I aughta...BANG, POW, ZOOM...to the moon! (of course you are way puny to recognise that reference)

I knew once you where out of your morning funk that you could help SRF out. You just needed a kick in the rump
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

After the Mess - Some Observations

Now that my problem has been resolved and I've had time to think about what actually took place, here are a few observations:

Observation #1:
            When you permanently apply the OC setting using the Matrox Tweaking Utility, it creates the permclk.exe file (which I never found), but it also updates settings within the Matrox Powerdesk software. These settings are carried over to any future install of Matrox drivers/software causing the type of problems I experienced. You MUST reset the OC'd card back to the DEFAULT (100%) clock speed BEFORE you update your drivers.

Observation #2:
            The Matrox "uninstall" app, run standalone or via Windows Add/Remove Programs DOES NOT REMOVE EVERY FILE installed during the driver/software install process as it states.

If the program did remove all the Matrox files/software, it would have removed the OC settings made by me. Since they were not removed, they kept creating a conflict until they were overwritten, presumably back to factory default specs during the v5.71 driver install process. I am assuming Matrox took out this process in the later versions to avoid having customers reenter any custom settings.

Observation #3:
            Keep a copy of v5.71 in your files so you can use it as a repair tool in case something goes wrong with future Matrox driver/software installs. I am a bit of a pack rat and have some pretty old G400 driver version in my library which came in handy.

Sorry to ramble on, but I hope my experience and observations will be of help to folks who have similar problems.

JL
            Base System:
            -Pioneer Slot load DVD
            -Plextor 12/10/32x CD-RW
            -SMC 2655W 802.11b WAP
            -Cable Modem

Comment

Re: After the Mess - Some Observations

Originally posted by SRFast
              Now that my problem has been resolved and I've had time to think about what actually took place, here are a few observations:

Observation #1:
              When you permanently apply the OC setting using the Matrox Tweaking Utility, it creates the permclk.exe file (which I never found), but it also updates settings within the Matrox Powerdesk software. These settings are carried over to any future install of Matrox drivers/software causing the type of problems I experienced. You MUST reset the OC'd card back to the DEFAULT (100%) clock speed BEFORE you update your drivers.

Observation #2:
              The Matrox "uninstall" app, run standalone or via Windows Add/Remove Programs DOES NOT REMOVE EVERY FILE installed during the driver/software install process as it states.

If the program did remove all the Matrox files/software, it would have removed the OC settings made by me. Since they were not removed, they kept creating a conflict until they were overwritten, presumably back to factory default specs during the v5.71 driver install process. I am assuming Matrox took out this process in the later versions to avoid having customers reenter any custom settings.

Observation #3:
              Keep a copy of v5.71 in your files so you can use it as a repair tool in case something goes wrong with future Matrox driver/software installs. I am a bit of a pack rat and have some pretty old G400 driver version in my library which came in handy.

Sorry to ramble on, but I hope my experience and observations will be of help to folks who have similar problems.

JL
              Actually you are wrong. Your problem was as simple as you running the install in the improper manner. Never run it when windows detects your card, always click cancel then when in windows run the setup.

All my procedure did was get the drivers and it's appropriate uninstaller installed properly, then cleaned out the remaining parts of that driver when uninstalling, and the same with the betas, if you don't run the proper install or the proper uninstall before going with the new drivers, this will happen (it happened to me when I was checking these drivers out, and I don't even run the MTSTU with the overclock other than to check that it's working).

Rags

Comment

Rags,
                If this is true, 1.) Why has all my previous upgrades, prior to tweaking & 5.81 worked with no problems ? - I've always used the the Windows detection method. 2.) Why didn't I get the "Overwite" message when I used "setup.exe" when I installed 5.72 or 5.81 beta ?

Thanks for assistance.....JL
                Base System:
                -Pioneer Slot load DVD
                -Plextor 12/10/32x CD-RW
                -SMC 2655W 802.11b WAP
                -Cable Modem

Comment

Rags,
                  If this is true, 1.) Why has all my previous upgrades, prior to tweaking & 5.81 worked with no problems ? - I've always used the the Windows detection method. 2.) Why didn't I get the "Overwite" message when I used "setup.exe" when I installed 5.72 or 5.81 beta ?

Thanks for assistance.....JL
                  All you have to do is uninstall before installing new drivers. It should be done everytime you install new drivers. Always use add/remove programs to uninstall, as it has the latest uninstaller for the matrox software there. As far as why it was fine when upgrading before, some upgrades will show no issues, in other words you can get away with it sometimes, but it will catch up with you sooner or later. Just ask the other Beta Testers here, they will tell you the same thing....most of the time you can just run the setup without really worrying about uninstalling, but that one time something screws up, it causes some hair pulling unless you are aware of how and why things messed up.

Rags

Comment

FYI - Even though I used the Windows detection install method, I ALWAYS uninstalled the current drivers using the Matrox uninstall program. I NEVER overlay drivers if there is a way to remove the current ones first.

BTW, do you know if Matrox will ever release drivers that will allow digital LCD monitors to use a higher refresh rate that 60Hz ?

Have a Happy New Year....JL
                    Base System:
                    -Pioneer Slot load DVD
                    -Plextor 12/10/32x CD-RW
                    -SMC 2655W 802.11b WAP
                    -Cable Modem

Comment

FYI - Even though I used the Windows detection install method, I ALWAYS uninstalled the current drivers using the Matrox uninstall program. I NEVER overlay drivers if there is a way to remove the current ones first.

BTW, do you know if Matrox will ever release drivers that will allow digital LCD monitors to use a higher refresh rate that 60Hz ?

Have a Happy New Year....JL
                      I figured that's what you were doing, I never said anything to the contrary. You will have to run the setup.exe to install the drivers. That's why it's there.

As far as unannounced features, I have no comment.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                      X