Hosed G400 MAX - Please help !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosed G400 MAX - Please help !

Firstly, I would like to say I am not a happy Matrox G400 Max owner. I've owned Matrox cards for over five (5) years and the problem I am currently experiencing is testing my loyalty.

Base System:
    -Windows 2000 Professional SP2
    -Shuttle AV40/R with RAID & On-board Audio
    -Intel 1.6GHz P4
    -512meg PC2100 DDR (DRAM Clock=133MHz)
    -Matrox G400 Max AGP Video card + DVI module
    (G4+MMDHA32GR, s/n: ABY78860)
    -Sony SDM-N80 18.1" LCD Flat Panel Monitor (was 1280x1024)

Background:
    I was running version 5.72 drivers without any problems. I "tweaked" the G400 Max using Matrox tweak program (MTSTU40204) to approx. 105% of "default" with no problems. Since it was stable, I made it "permanent" with the understanding it could set back to the default by Matrox tech Louie.

On 12/25/01, I downloaded the 5.81beta drivers and that's where the problems begin. After uninstalling the 5.72 drivers using the Matrox Uninstall app, I installed the latest drivers.

Problems:
    1. Resolution will not go above 800x600
    2. Powerdesk will not load
    3. W2K crashes BSOD when "advanced" button is clicked on the CP Display adjustment panel. The card and monitor is correctly identified by the system.

I tried to set the G400 clock speed back to the default using MTSTU40204, but get a "G400: Failed on Clock or Dividers" error. I click "OK" and get a panel that displays 0% Clock and "Card Default" button does nothing. I tried deleting "permclk.exe" in VGA mode, but the file does not even exist. I know the card is still OC'd because another utility reports the clock speed is 164.25 - Default was 150.43.

I uninstalled the beta drivers and reinstalled the 5.72, but I experience the same problems. The drivers that worked before no longer work ! I even tried earlier drivers with the same results.

Questions:
    1. How do I get the clock speed back to the default setting if none of Louie's procedures work ?
    2. Why don't the drivers that worked before work now?
    3. Can this card be salvaged?

JL - A very angry & frustrated customer!
    Base System:
    -Intel 1.6GHz P4 (running @ 1.76GHz)
    -Enermax EG365P-VE(FMA) PSU
    -Promise Ultra100TX2 IDE Controller
    -IBM Deskstar 75GPX - 30gig HDD
    -Quantum Fireball Plus AS - 10gig HDD
    -Pioneer Slot load DVD
    -Plextor 12/10/32x CD-RW
    -Matrox G400 Max AGP Videocard + DVI module
    -Sony SDM-N80 18.1" LCD Flat Panel Monitor (1280x1024)
    -SMC 7004BR Broadband Router
    -SMC 2655W 802.11b WAP
    -Cable Modem

The file permclk.exe must be in your Windows directory... if it´s not, how could the program run at startup?

Try reflashing the card´s BIOS with the latest version if that doesn´t help.

Comment

Permclk.exe does not exist at all. Can someone email it to me so I can install it ? I also reflashed the BIOS, but that didn't do anything.

Any ideas ?

TIA....JL
      Base System:
      -Pioneer Slot load DVD
      -Plextor 12/10/32x CD-RW
      -SMC 2655W 802.11b WAP
      -Cable Modem

Comment

It's been a while since I used MTSTU on a G400 (it doesn't o/c G550), but that may be the incorrect name...as I recall it was permAclk.exe.
        It is created by MTSTU when you select the permanent o/c option. Search your windows and system folders for perm*.*, and you should find it...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin:
          Thanks for your advice. I was able to find three (3) "perm*.* files in C:\WINNT: two (2) perm2.* and a permclk.dll. I moved them to another folder and rebooted, but the results were the same. There is no "perm*.exe" in my system. When this tweak is used, does it change the code on the card or is it just a software thing ? Is the card physically changed beyond repair ?

I am getting very frustrated and ready to pull the card. I like the Matrox, but can't understand why I can't result it to the default. The only reason I set it to "permanent" is because MAtrox said it could be reset (see link in top post).

BTW, I use MGATweak to check the clock speed and it still reports 164, not the default 150.43.

TIA...JL
          Last edited by SRFast; 25 December 2001, 19:44.
          Base System:
          -Pioneer Slot load DVD
          -Plextor 12/10/32x CD-RW
          -SMC 2655W 802.11b WAP
          -Cable Modem

Comment

I think the MTSTU overclocking is done through software...
            ...anyway, it´s a strange problem.

One way of finding out if the card is damaged is to install a fresh Windows. That can be painful, it depends on how far are you willing to go to find out. I personally think the G400 is a fine card, I recently replaced it with a Geforce 2 MX400 just for gaming, but I miss the top-notch image quality. And problems can appear on Nvidia, ATI or any other card. Nvidia´s forums are packed with trouble, too. In this business, there´s no room for customer loyalty, problems exist in all hardware vendors.

P.S. Try deleting the permclk.dll file, because it´s related to the MTSTU for sure.

Comment

Using the Matrox tweaker will not permanently change the card. It only does it with software, which is the permaclk thing that MTSTU writes, then executes when windows boots up.
              The only way to permanently change the cards clocking is to reprogram the BIOS, which the Matrox util does not do.

If you have used MGATweak in the past, is it possible you have set it to monitor, and o/c the card at startup? If so, make sure it is not running at boot.

If you really think the card's BIOS has been messed up, you could try Matrox's recover utility, which will set the BIOS back to it's original state.

At any rate, overclocking should not cause the problems described in your first post:
              1. Resolution will not go above 800x600
              2. Powerdesk will not load
              3. W2K crashes BSOD when "advanced" button is clicked on the CP Display adjustment panel. The card and monitor is correctly identified by the system.
              I would try to fully remove the drivers again (with add/remove programs, not the uninstall util), and reinstall...
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks Everyone...

I appreciate your input, but the G400 is still hosed. I'm not a PC novice and I've done everything I can think of and what you've recommended, but with no positive results.

I am going to post my original message on the Matrox company forum and see what kind of respone I get from their techs. I hope they have a fix because they're the ones who have created this mess. If I get no answers from them, I am going swap the video card with a spare ATI. If I am really bored, I might reinstall W2K.

If you have any other input, please post it.

Thanks again....JL
                Base System:
                -Pioneer Slot load DVD
                -Plextor 12/10/32x CD-RW
                -SMC 2655W 802.11b WAP
                -Cable Modem

Comment

Re: Thanks Everyone...

Originally posted by SRFast
                  I appreciate your input, but the G400 is still hosed. I'm not a PC novice and I've done everything I can think of and what you've recommended, but with no positive results.

I am going to post my original message on the Matrox company forum and see what kind of respone I get from their techs. I hope they have a fix because they're the ones who have created this mess. If I get no answers from them, I am going swap the video card with a spare ATI. If I am really bored, I might reinstall W2K.

If you have any other input, please post it.

Thanks again....JL
                  How did you uninstall your beta drivers?

Rags

Comment

I've uninstalled the drivers (5.72 & 5.81beta) using both the Matrox Uninstaller and Windows Add/Remove Programs app with the same results. The software is removed, but when reinstalled, it craps out. I believe the Matrox Uninstaller is used by Windows Add/Remove because the dialog screens are identical once it is launched.

I've read about video card/driver horror stories on various forums, but until now I've been immune. I am not happy that I can't get the clock speed back to default as Matrox tech Louie said. I know this is the cause because the utility bombs when I try to change it.

JL
                    Base System:
                    -Pioneer Slot load DVD
                    -Plextor 12/10/32x CD-RW
                    -SMC 2655W 802.11b WAP
                    -Cable Modem

Comment

Originally posted by SRFast
                      I've uninstalled the drivers (5.72 & 5.81beta) using both the Matrox Uninstaller and Windows Add/Remove Programs app with the same results. The software is removed, but when reinstalled, it craps out. I believe the Matrox Uninstaller is used by Windows Add/Remove because the dialog screens are identical once it is launched.

I've read about video card/driver horror stories on various forums, but until now I've been immune. I am not happy that I can't get the clock speed back to default as Matrox tech Louie said. I know this is the cause because the utility bombs when I try to change it.

JL
                      First, quit your pissing and moaning. You overclocked your card, not Matrox. They explicity say there's no support for overclocking, even with the tweak utility. Be happy they helped you.

Second, I would help you with your problem, but I can see it's a big waste. Go now, and have your fun elsewhere.

Rags

Comment

Rags,
                        I am not blaming Matrox for the problems I am experiencing. I take full responsiblity for that. What I am bothered by is that Matrox said that the speed could be reset back to the default and it can't.

JL
                        Base System:
                        -Pioneer Slot load DVD
                        -Plextor 12/10/32x CD-RW
                        -SMC 2655W 802.11b WAP
                        -Cable Modem

Comment

Geez, Rags..little cranky this morning?

SRFast...Try booting into safe mode, and checking your device manager for duplicate or non-existant video cards. Sometimes things will show up in safe mode that you don't see in normal mode. Remove all video cards from device manager while in safe mode. Reboot into normal mode. When your card is detected, set it up as standard VGA and reboot. Install any motherboard patches/drivers and reboot, then try installing the Matrox drivers again.

Matrox's tech forums are closed till after the first of the year, since they are all off on a week long holiday party

Comment

I know this advice won't help you much SRFast but always make a working backup before installing Beta drivers. This can save you a lot of time.
                            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I appreciate all the advice I've gotten regarding this problem. I haven't fixed it yet, but I will continue digging around my system to find what is causing the problem. From my research and your input, I'm convinced the MTSTU tweak is only software related and that the G400 Max card has not been changed physically, which is good to know. Does anyone know if this "tweak" program runs once during boot or is it running constantly ?

If all else fails, I will format and reinstall W2K.

Thanks....JL
                              Base System:
                              -Pioneer Slot load DVD
                              -Plextor 12/10/32x CD-RW
                              -SMC 2655W 802.11b WAP
                              -Cable Modem

Comment

Working...
                              X