New G450 gives garbage on boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New G450 gives garbage on boot

I just purchased a (supposedly) new G450 on ebay...

It gives garbage on the primary display, just random colors and noise; although it does appear to be TRYING to display the proper information, it just doesn't do it so well.

I am also going to ask on the matrox technical support forums; if this isn't resolved I'll have to assume it is DOA

Make sure it is completely in the slot... push real hard!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Should be no need to go the Matrox tech support forums, they will be closed until the new year anyhow.

We can help you here probably, what are your system details? Greebe can get you going

Rags

Comment

Well..

I've tried it in 2 motherboards so far, and yes.. I pushed it in as far as it would go

One is an Asus, and the other Intel. The Asus has the AGP clk setting set to 1, I also tried 4. I haven't tried modifying (or checking) what the setting is on the Intel board; but I have used AGP video cards in both boards in the past.

It does display the bios/post information to the screen, just (very) illegably and with many extra artifacts; after it posts it gets even worse, turning into complete and utter garbage.

Mostly useless information:
        The Intel board hosts a PentiumII, and the Asus board hosts dual pentium III processors. I have also sucessfully used a Matrox Mystique in the Intel board (haven't tried the Asus)

Comment

maybe a corrupted BIOS ... wasn'T there a recovery util on Matrox ftp ?
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

If that is the case..

If that is the case, I would have to boot with a pci card into my OS and then install a new Bios onto the G450..

So can I do that from linux, or am I knee deep in the dead? (sorry, couldn't resist a doom reference)

Comment

hmm, there's a way to create a recovery boot disk form wondos, but I don't know how to do it form DOS and I'm too lazy to rtfm ... ;
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Linux?.....................(shakes head)

Unfortunately, you'll need a Windoze box and this util setup254.exe from here:

once unpacked run the makedisk file to make a bootable BIOS disk.....

there isnt (that I am aware of) Linux equivalant unfortunately for ya...

-Dil
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Ok..

Yeah, I found the windows executable on the webpage today. Major inconvience. I assume Win95a doesn't support AGP, as AGP wasn't implimented in motherboards until at least Q4-1996 or Q1-1997

Sounds like this is going to be a fun night.

Comment

It wasn't until Win95c that AGP support was added to the OS... or with the addition of the USB patch provided by M$ that this it was.

How about posting some system specs cause this sounds like there could possibly be other issues involved (or at least we can put to rest
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

You may also want to have a look see here...

-----------------------------------
                      (Merry Christmas Greg!

Comment

Thanks for the URL, very helpful.

I found an MS-Dos disk image which I can mount in linux and create a nice bootable BIOS recovery disk with

The only problem I have is finding out which .bin file I need for my G450; that site above doesn't have the G450 in its bios/bin table.

Seemingly useful information from the card:

Matrox 975-0201 REV A
                        Copyright 2000

G45+ MDHA32D/DEL 206

Comment

Use MXINFO from my website and look for strange values in parameter dump. In particular observe the reported oscillator frequency. Should be 27 MHz. 14.something means error.

Comment

interesting..

Everything looked ok.
                            vendor id= 102b
                            device-id = 0525
                            subsys_vid = 102b
                            subsys id = 0641

the only strange thing is that device_id 0525 is G400 Toucan, when this is a G450; I don't know if that would make a difference.

The OSC reported as 27mhz,
                            PINS reported as 5.2

Comment

MXInfo Log
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X