Windows XP+Abit KG7-Raid problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP+Abit KG7-Raid problems

I'm running into problems installing XP on my computer. The Problem I'm having is that after it gets installed and reboots and starts XP for the first time...my PC freezes up and nothing happens. I try to start my PC up in Safe mode and I get a BSOD with a STOP 0X0000007F, which according to MS is a problem with my BIOS telling XP that my computer is running too hot. I lowered the CPU down to its standard 1.4ghz and I have a temp of under 100F on the CPU and about 90 F on the board.

I'm trying a reinstall as a standard PC now without ACPI as suggested by MS, but I was wondering if anyone else has ran into a problem like this with XP. I was running Win2K before this without any problems, even overclocking it.

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Well I'm up and running again with XP as a standard PC, which leads me to another question...can I Set my PC back up as a ACPI computer once I get a decent BIOS that won't give me problems?

Thanks

Scott

Comment

If you've got a live soundcard I'd leave the acpi off. I would also invest in a bigger heatsink if you're going to overclock. You may have been cooking the processor to much during setup and hence the freeze. Unfortunatley you couldn't see what the temperatures were before locked you out I presume.
      The temperatures you're registering now will be the idle tempatures as Xp will shut the cpu down if it isn't doing anything.
      Do something heavy and see how far you temps go then.
      What version of the bios are you running.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The man has a Swiftech 462 for chrissakes. They don't get much better than that
        100F = 38C which is FINE
        My Live 5.1 works fine with ACPI on and PnP OS on in my Abit KT7.
        I'm pretty certain you'll have to reinstall XP if you want to go back to ACPI.
        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

1) Where does it say in his post about the heatsink ??

2) The problem started during install of winxp I therefore concluded it fell over before he could read the temperatures and before the system idle process kicks in. I.E before the installation finnished. Therefore the temperture was higher.

3) He was overclocking for christsakes when it fell over. He isn't now.

4) Acpi problems I refer to viahardware.com and faq's there and the many problems with the acpi that the sblive is know to suffer from. Also check out the threads there and you'll see what I mean. Just because you haven't had problems doesn't mean that others haven't.

5) If it's working now why fix something that ain't broke.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
            1) Where does it say in his post about the heatsink ??

Check My Sig

2) The problem started during install of winxp I therefore concluded it fell over before he could read the temperatures and before the system idle process kicks in. I.E before the installation finnished. Therefore the temperture was higher.

I have been running Windows 2000 since Septemeber...overclocked and all without any problems.

3) He was overclocking for christsakes when it fell over. He isn't now.

First time I did it I was overclocking then went to stock speed..did the same thing

4) Acpi problems I refer to viahardware.com and faq's there and the many problems with the acpi that the sblive is know to suffer from. Also check out the threads there and you'll see what I mean. Just because you haven't had problems doesn't mean that others haven't.

I'm running an SB Audigy...once again no problems in Windows 2000 with ACPI running with out getting the same stop error.

5) If it's working now why fix something that ain't broke.

Well after I posted this message....My PC died again with a corrupt Registery file...I'm not sure what caused it since It happened when I was shutting the PC down and it was about 2AM and I wasnt paying attention to it. So far with me upgrading to XP, its been a big hassle. I'm up and running again..but I haven't had a chance to hammer it since getting it up and running again Xmas Eve...

Comment

Oh I have the 5W BIOS with the highpoint 2.x BIOS revision hacked into them.

Scott

Comment

Well you sig ain't showing when I'm looking at this thread. I'll check my profile and see if something got turned off again.

Right thats better I can see what you got.

Any particular reason to go to XP??
                The corrupt registry sounds like the old 686b bug popping it's head up again. How aggresive are your memory timings? I had so called data corruption on a Epox board. Setting the memory timings back to the slow settings allowed the file to become uncorrupt on it's own. A bios update cured the problem completly.
                Winxp also stresses the system more than win2k as many Via and Nvidea users have found but this won't effect cpu temps of course but it maybe the cuase of the file corruption.
                I don't whether you can set the cpu warning temp in your Bios it maybe worth checking those settings and disabling them.
                Last edited by The PIT; 27 December 2001, 04:35.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                X