DSL on Multiple Computers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL on Multiple Computers?

The phone company finally put a substation in my neighborhood so I can now get DSL!

I've currently got 2 computers networked together (and by this summmer probably a 3rd). What is the easiest way to allow both systems to share the DSL connection?

The phone company wasn't very helpful with this question, as they were trying to sell me some sort of enhanced service and hardware that would double my monthly rate and cost me about $400 installation.

One system is using Windows XP and the other is using Win98se. Can I just set up some sort of proxy arrangement for them to share the same connection?
    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Just about any of the cable/DSL routers on the market... some as low as $50 (with rebate)... checkout the offerings from Netgear/Linksys etc

also adding an additional nic to the machine that's directly connected to the net can use NAT software.. ICS which is built into all new M$ OS's... or the likes of NAT32 (I use) NAT1000, Sygate, etc can be used to share your net connection
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

also do a search here... this subject has been brought up many times in the past
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I just got WinXP Pro setup on my Duallie: I'm using Internet Connection sharing now with no problems...that is until Christmas hits and Santa puts my long-awaited Linksys BEFSR81 under the tree.

I would hesitate recommending WinXP for anyone as a full time gateway for the time being...there are some serious security flaws in it that have only been recently addressed, but who the hell knows if more will be uncovered, ya know? (Anybody wanna bet against that? Anybody? I thought not. )

The packaged Firewall and ICS do not seem to want to function together, so that axed that idea.

Until I get a reliable Virus Scanner (Norton AV 2002), and a decent XP certified Firewall (I know! Disable the NIC Altogether! That's fix intrusion problems for sure...I think... ), My WinXP box is Offline when I'm not around.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
        X