Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD under Windows 2000?

Hey, there!

I just installed windows 2000. I downloaded the lates drivers for my matrox G400 max, and set it all up nice and beautifully.

BUT! (and this is a big one) Win2K can't seem to recognize my g400 for it's dvd decoding capabilities thus preventing me from watching dvd's on my computer.

HELP!

i've got a matrox g400, drivers v5.03 and a 10x Pioneer dvd drive.

If anyone can shed some light on the subject, i'd GREATLY appreciate it! after seeing the stability and perfection of win2k i dont want to go back to 98.

Thanks!

-Patronize

i'd check the win2k software compatibility page and search for DVD/DVD Player..

Not sure exactly which ones are available or work in it. If you find out, let us know.

Coolfish

Comment

One of the cool things about windows 2000 is it has a dvd player built in! but... i can't use it!

if you try to run it you get a message that says something about "Just because you have a dvd drive, doesn't mean you can watch dvds..." haha! it's actually quite interesting!

Anyway! i haven't given up! As soon as i find a solution to this (if i do) i'll post a message with my findings so everyone who has this problem can quickley find a solution!

talk soon!

Comment

W2k's internal DVD player is just an interface to any 3rd-party components, which can be software or hardware DVD players...

Very nice Software players are WinDVD and PowerDVD.

If you get one of those, w2k's DVD player will suddenly stop complaining and will start playing DVDs...
        By the way - w2k is absolutely correct - you can use your DVD drive to read data from DVD disks, but to watch movies you need additional software...

DGCom
        DGCom

Comment

Hey there!

I know that software is required to play dvds. I just didn't know what the deal was with win2k's dvd player.

I found a trial version of winDVD 2000. it seems to play nicely enough for the most part, but there are some sound problems. I was kinda upset that that matrox dvd player didn't work under 2k, 'cause it's one of the best as far as i'm concerned.

Oh well.

Comment

As I remember correctly, Matrox's DVD player was Zoran DVD player...
            Zoran now is MGI Software. They prepared a new version, w2k-compatable. The question is - will Matrox provide an upgrade for their users?

DGCom
            DGCom

Comment

I use Inter WINDVD on my laptop under W2K - it works very well. I have also tried PowerDVD not quite as good in my opinion.
              Phil
              AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

I have tried both WinDVD2000 and PowerDVD 2.55 on my Win2k system and I actually see higher (definitely visibly higher) image quality from PowerDVD. Both players do not yet support AC3 passthru in Win2k thru. I think they are waiting for sound card manufacturers to update their drivers.

Comment

Working...
                X