Thermal Grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal Grease

Which brand would you recommend. Also do you need both the grease plus an adhesive, or just the grease alone? Thanks.

DJ

There's no question. Arctic Silver (or version II). I haven't seen anything that works better.

Adhesive? We'd need to know more about what you're trying to cool.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

AS 1 or 2! http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30281
      Last edited by Guru; 21 December 2001, 01:04.
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I am trying to cool a celeron 1100mhz chip. From what you have said it would seem to me that I would not need an adhesive, since I won't be doing a lot of overclocking. Am I correct?

DJ

Comment

You generally don't use adhesive when cooling CPUs. They all have mounting mechanisms these days, which use some kind of clip or screw to keep the heatsink against the CPU with pressure.

You might be thinking of thermal epoxies. They do join two objects together, but don't transmit heat as well as greases.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What I was trying to find out was about Artic Silver and Artic Silver Adhesive. I got the impression from thier web site info that you need to mix the Artic Silver with the Artic Silver adhesive. They even show a picture with the two tubes being squeezed together and mixing them bothe into a paste. they further mentioned that the adhesive cannot be used on its own. That gives me the impression that the Artic silver (not adhesive) can be used on its own. Is that a correct assumption? Thanks.

DJ

Comment

You can use one or the other... But like stated above the grease is better.
              The epoxy is most likely comprised of two parts that are mixed like all epoxies are. This would be a hardener and the epoxy base. How structually strong it is I dunno... most thermal epoxies are quite strong but alais I don't have any experience with Arctic's thermal epoxy.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I use two differnt types. One for insane overclocking and the other for normal computers. For insane overclockers I use Arctic Silver II. Great stuff. For normal computers I use standard silicon free electonics thermal grease. You can get it at any electronics store. they use this stuff for high wattage power amps for ham radios and such. A tube costs about $10 and I've had mine for about 3 years now.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I got it now.

DJ

Comment

Working...
                  X