Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game pad

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a gamepad (for PC). Currently, I am considering the Logitech Cordless Gamepad, but the lack of reviews still makes me hesitant (I haven't found any review yet). Rumble-feedback is not essential to me, cordless would be convenient (but rather a very good gamepad with a cord, than a bad cordless gamepad). I do feel that dual-analog controllers are a must (but it would be my first gamepad).

I have considered the option of connecting a PS2 gamepad to my PC, but how does that perform ? (I have no PS2, so I'd have to buy both controller and converter) Main reason I considered this, is the wider range of controllers in this market; but is it then possible to define buttons, etc. ?

Type of games are first person shooter, third person shooters, driving, flying (a bit allround actually ), I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer, main purpose is to be more comfortable...

Any comments / hints would be appreciated !

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I would stay away from the wireless. There's some lag time, and if it's IR it's a real pain to try to always keep it aimed at the receiver.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, the Logitech is RF (Quote: "The pad communicates over the 2.4 GHz frequency for excellent responsiveness and reliability within a 5-meter range."), but I am just curious to know just how much lag there is... Is it barely noticable, discomforting, or really enoying. (if only there were some users that could comment, or reviews I could resort to...)

Main reason for going wireless : I would use my tv/hifi in stead of my computermonitor/speakers (32" vs 17" ). Computer and TV are not located that far apart (I rent a studio, the distance between both devices is approx. 2 m), but I figured wireless to be more comfortable. Of course, a USB extension cable could suite my purpose as well... So it is not a mandatory feature...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

I have the Rumblepad, the non-wireless version. Good pad, good buy. It's D-pad could be better, but it's dual-analogues are surprisingly accurate with pretty good feel. But the increased price of the wireless version may or may not suit you.
        Primary system specs:
        Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Personally, I would never do any high-speed games with a wireless.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

And then there's the security issues with using a Wireless controller.

Comment

Hmm, wireless doesn't seem to have many followers...

In the non-wireless, any comments on the Logitech rumblepad ?

It scores quite well in reviews, but so does the
              Thrustmaster Firestorm

and the Gravis Eliminator Aftershock.

Any other good makes ?

I am leaning towards the Logitech, mainly because of the (what looks like ) good software and the large number of presetfiles that can be found on the net...

EvilDonnyboy : Thanks for the info ! Is it possible to assign mousemovements to the analog sticks ? I read in a review this was not possible, but the software has evolved since that test...

Jörg

PS:
              Jon P. Ingram : Most original argument so far !
              Wombat : I'd like to be able to test it, but unfortunutaly, that is out of the question (perhaps when the store I usually go stocks it...)
              pixar

Comment

Yup, with the latest wingman software, it allows you to map the any of the analogues to either x/y mouse axis.

I should mention logitech rocks at wireless. I have a logitech wireless optical mouseman, and I love it. The only downside to this mouse is that it's limited to a 50hz sampling rate (USB corded mice have a 125hz sampling rate), otherwise it performs as well as a new-gen corded logitech mouseman. It's based on a ~45mhz RF.

So their 2.4ghz wireless tech is a 1st with their wireless gamepad, it should only be a matter of time before they come out with a 2.4ghz mouse with a good (>80hz) sampling rate.
                Primary system specs:
                Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Jörg,

I have a Rumblepad and I must say that I really like it, and the price was one of the lowest for what I wanted (the two toggle buttons on the side and at least 8 buttons). I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with buying one, though I've never used it in first/third person shooters.

dsp
                  1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
                  512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
                  MSI 845PE FISR
                  8.4GB Quantum CR
                  40GB Maxtor 5400
                  MSI 40X12X48
                  Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
                  SB Audigy
                  Parhelia (210/600)
                  19" Dell P991
                  Win2kPro
                  Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

So their 2.4ghz wireless tech is a 1st with their wireless gamepad
                    Well, Logitech claims to be the first, but Thrustmaster also has a 2.4ghz wireless gamepad...

Apparently, the logitech would be a good choice. Thanks everybody for the info !

I'll guess I'll wait some more, until I can read some in depth reviews of the wireless controller..

Thanks guys !
                    Happy holidays

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Working...
                    X