Word of warning - WinXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word of warning - WinXP

I used Partition Magic Pro 7 to change drive letter on my XP partition (corporate version). This rendered XP unbootable, saying "the product activation couldn´t ..." !

If it hadn´t been for my still working 98SE installation, a copy of the whole XP installation on another disk and a ludicrous amount of hours I would have been smoked, with a "clean install" as the only option.

So, don´t you try to change drive letter on your precious refined and honed corporate XP installation! You have been warned.

rubank

Hate to break it to you Rubank, but you can change the drive letter in XP. Open Control Panel -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. Right-click on any partition, except the partition where XP is installed, and select Change Drive Letter and Path from the menu. You can even change the CD-ROM drive letters. Once your done, close Computer Mangler and your done. No rebooted required or anything.

And uh...changing the drive letter of the partition where XP is install with a 3rd party app...BAD!

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The keywords being "...except the partition where XP is installed.."

Yes, it was a bad idea, I know that now, but you´re not always in the spot you´d like to be. And at this particular spot I didn´t have much of an option.
      I now have my installation back, but I´m still suck with the drive letter enigma because when I boot another partition or hd the XP partition in question gets another drive letter! So changing from another os/hd doesn´t necessarily give the result I want.
      And I don´t want to get into this kind of trouble again so I´ll probably settle for the way it is - which still leaves a lot of work to be done, but rather that than another screw-up.

As for 3rd party, I´d say 1st or 2nd isn´t necessarily better.

Anyway, thanks for answering Jammrock.

rubank

Comment

Working...
      X