Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting 1.2TB - how high will it go?

Hi All
    I'm getting a 1.2Gig TB (266FSB) with a v.large copper h/s on it as a freebie at christmas. How high can I expect to push (o/c) this puppy?

TIA

Tony.

[edit: typ0]
    Last edited by Fat Tone; 20 December 2001, 03:29.
    FT.

Expert Reviews, how-tos, forums for CPUs, memory, motherboards, video cards for overclockers, enthusiasts and gamers.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Thanks Guru. It's been so long since I got my current Athlon I forgot about that.

Looks like 1400 shouldn't be too hard. I'll have to wait and get more details on Christmas day to see 'whats in the box'

I do want this system to be quiet (2 PCs in room) so I won't be trying too hard.

Cheers

Tony.
      FT.

Comment

Then I recomend that you replase the standard HS and get some Papst fans for the computer!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Its not a standard HS - it was bought separately for ~£35 and I am told it is an extremely large block of copper. Not sure what the fan is.

I did some experimentation with my current rig and found that 80-90% of the noise is from the PSU fan. I'll try removing the metalwork infront of the fan to see if that helps, but replacement PSUs (300W+), esp. good ones, are rather expensive here. If the above doesn't work then its a toss up between replacing the fan or the PSU.

T.
          FT.

Comment

Mine runs at 1400 stable
            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Hi KeiFront

What did you need to do to it?

Tony.
              FT.

Comment

The 1.2Gig TB aren't locked so I didn't had to unlock it. I,m runnig it at 10 * 140 at the moment (39°C Idle 42°C load, system temp 20°C ).

I once had it running at 10 * 147 (1470Mhz) (without case fans) but It wasn't stable during the summertime . I purchased 3 case fans in september but I haven't tried to overclock my CPU some more, maybe it will run at 1500 Mhz?
                Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I did some experimentation with my current rig and found that 80-90% of the noise is from the PSU fan.
                  replaise it with a PAPST 8412NGML (2050rpm 26,5CFM 19dB) you should be able to get one for ~10£

Comment

Cool! (pardon the pun). Any suggested dealers? (haven't seen one yet).
                    Thanks

Tony.
                    FT.

Comment

Tony, try http://www.chillblast.co.uk or http://www.tekheads.co.uk
                      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I have 2 of those papst fans in my case, though they are very quiet they are also quite powerful.

Comment

Progress on noise:

1st I removed the grill from infront of the PSU fan - a v.small improvement.

Then I started messing with the various fans in the case: My Athlon HS had two fans on it - v. noisy. Removed one, placed other centrally - modest effect, but not to the amount where you would say 'that PC is now quieter' when you walk in the room. Ran 3DMark2K1 for 30 minutes: CPU 35 degrees chassis 30 degrees in a fairly cool room. May have to revisit this in the summer.

I have a fan suspended near the CPU which exhausts through a hole in the side of the case. It is fairly quiet and v.effective so it stays.

The front-of-case fan is a Jamicon, and very quiet. I removed if and found the case-holes were blocked with dust, so it wasn't doing much anyway. I opened up the PSU and swapped the fan for the Jamicon! The connector is different so I fed the lead out the back of the PSU into the case and connected normally.

The whole thing is a lot quieter now!

I did look for the Pabst fans, but they were £15 & up!

Cheers

Tony.
                          Last edited by Fat Tone; 22 December 2001, 06:26.
                          FT.

Comment

I did look for the Pabst fans, but they were £15 & up!
                            But they are worth it trust me!

Comment

Originally posted by Guru

But they are worth it trust me!
                              Ok. If things get too noisy when the 2nd system arrives...or when it gets upto 1.4+ ...
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X