A7V266-E and Alpha PAL8045

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A7V266-E and Alpha PAL8045

I am going to get the above mentioned board and I've been looking at HS and I really like the Alpha PAL8045. Problem is, the mofo is HUGE! And because it is HUGE! it may possibly touch one of the capacitors on the board. Here is a note directly from Alpha's website:

"NOTE 1 : The PAL8045 will fit the A7V266-E board without modification. However, it will contact one of the board's capacitors, POSSIBLY damaging it. Rounding an edge of the base with a DREMEL or other tool could be a possible solution. This would, however, make you heat sink non-returnable. Due to these issues, we consider the use of the PAL8045 on this board a "Use at your own risk application."

Now, I've always been one for "risking" the situation and I have no problems slightly modifying the HS if necessary but before I do it, I want to see if any of you are in the same boat? Opinions please.

Thanks,

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Depending on the kind of touch, maybe you could just put some insulating tape on that part of the HS.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The heatsink will just barely not fit. Yes, a capcitor in the top left corner is in the way.

This is easily solved by shaving off approx 3-5mm off the corner of the alpha. You won't have to shave off any of the hs' pins, just some tiny non-critical piece of metal off the corner.

Be aware that some revisions will have that capacitor moves slightly to the left, so that the heatsink will barely touch w/o any modifications to the alpha.
      Primary system specs:
      Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

I think I'd rather replace the cap. You might spent a buck or two to replace a 10 cent capacitor with something smaller, but you wouldn't have to mess with the heatsink.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

?

It's so simple to take off a tiny bit off the alpha's corner it's not even funny. A metal file, sand paper, a dremel, anything will do it.

You'd rather modify your mobo (which requires soldering and crap) than to scrap off a miniscule piece of insignificant soft aluminum off an alpha. I'm not sure you realize which part of the alpha i'm talking about, it's 100% uneeded metal on the corner.

edit:dammit, if only I still had webspace, I'd post some pics to demostrate how insignificant this "mod" is. stupid excite@home.

ok try these links. notice my added red cricles. that's how much that's needed to be taken off. insignificant, as i said.

Last edited by EvilDonnyboy; 20 December 2001, 00:13.
          Primary system specs:
          Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Well, I'm pretty good with a soldering iron. But my real point was that I'd rather keep the resale/return value of the HS, since Dave seems to be keeping the MB, and maybe not the HS.

Comment

I've decided I would order the Alpha and eyeball it and see how much I really have to take off. If it's really only as much as the above pictures show then it's a no brainer for me. Where's my Dremel! Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
              X