Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else have your virtual mem set to 0 besides me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else have your virtual mem set to 0 besides me?

I decided that since I have 512MB RAM I would set my swap file to 0. I haven't had any problems with this setup except for one app which is PS6. PS6 complains that I need more virtual memory so I set it to 2MB and it works fine now. Anything I should be worried about? BTW, it's running on WinXP and it's been this way for 3 weeks without any problems at all.

Dave
    Last edited by Helevitia; 19 December 2001, 12:54.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

If you DO still insist on putting in a ton of RAM, Windows 95/98/Me and XP do allow you to turn off the paging file. Do so. Especially useful on notebook computes with a lot of RAM, as this will cut down on the amount of random hard disk activity (and battery usage), and will keep your hard disk less fragmented. I've turned off the paging file with 256 megabytes systems with on ill effects, but just to be safe I'll say don't turn off the paging file unless you have at least 512 megabytes of RAM in your PC.

I've had heated arguments with people telling me "no, never turn off virtual memory! Windows won't boot" and other people telling me that the system will run slower. In both cases the people didn't understand what it really means to turn off the paging file. Take it from me, having been running Windows XP and Windows 98 system without paging files for a long time, it works just fine.
    From http://www.emulators.com/secrets.htm

If you don´t have problems, leave it be. It should improve your performance.

Comment

I used to have it set at 15MB, but I often got messages in Win2k about "your virtual memory is running low, windows will resize your virtual memory accordingly when you press ok" and of course pressing ok wouldn't do shit, because I had set the size manually. Not that those messages had any real purpose as it started to freak out when there was still a lot of free virtual memory, not to mention hundres of megabytes of physical memory (it gave the warnings with 1GB RAM installed).

But if you don't have any problems in XP, then I guess MS fixed this pain in the ass bug in that OS and it should run fine

Comment

I had it set aT zero at work where a printer was slow as the ice age with wirtual memmory activated....
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
          I had it set aT zero at work where a printer was slow as the ice age with wirtual memmory activated....
          wouldn't happen to be a HP officejet, would it?

Comment

When I got my 256Mb together in Win98, I tried running without a swap file, and it would go, as long as I didn't start a game

Then I upgraded to WinME (yup, real upgrade...) but it wouldn't work without the swapfile. Until last summer when I bought 256Mb RAM again, installed it, tried it again. It speeded up Windows loading, and a couple of other things.

But eventually I got a Windows crash and rebooted and it set the swapfile up again for me, without asking. I checked it running on my C: drive, moved it over to my E: drive, giving it a maximum of 512Mb to use and my Windows has been running stable since.

I understand from another forum I frequent, that you're better off with more than 512Mb of RAM (Like 1Gb) to run WinME and Win2k without swapfiles. Win98(SE) just refuses to run without a swapfile. WinXP I don't know

Jord.
            Last edited by Jorden; 19 December 2001, 13:22.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Looks like the short of the story is, "if it works, don't fix it!" So I have nothing to change

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I have turned of my pagefile
                Have 1024Mb momory, so no problem for me!

Comment

One thing I have found for Windows 2000 that noticeably speeds up swap activity is to put the paging file on its own partition taking up all the space and formatted to FAT16. Preferably on a different drive and channel.
                  P=I^2*R
                  Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Got my swap file on a seperate drive and channel. It's on an old 4GB Ultra 33 Drive on the second channel of a Maxtor Ultra 100 controller. It also has an old zip 100 as secondary but that is hardly ever hit. The swap file is set at 2046 min and 2047 max. With 256 MB of ram, it never slows down.

Even video editing occurs at near full speed. I can't remember the last time I dropped a frame sampling either.

Comment

I turned off my page file just to see how things worked without it...no troubles so far. But I think I'll need to do some extensive testing in Counter Strike to make sure it works...

Jammrock
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I have tried it with no swap file, and all was well, except for mech4. I play that alot, and apparently it likes its memory! I had to enable it again.

One thing that I do that helps alot is to put the line "conservativeswapfileusage=1" in your system.ini file under the [386enh] section. This tells windows not to use the harddisk unless it has to. Or it is supposed to. At any rate it helps.

I like the idea of another harddrive set for the swap file. When my 3.2gig dma33 drive gets put out to pasture, maybe it will become my swap file hard drive.

And as far as 1gig of mem goes, I'd love that too, but as I have 4x128megs now, I would have to replace it all, so not for a bit. Lucky guy...
                        AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

I've been playing MW4 for weeks with no swap file. Haven't had any probs.

Dave

Comment

hmmm...Maybe I'll give it another go.

do you ever go online? If so, whats your nick? (as a mech pilot)
                            AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus

wouldn't happen to be a HP officejet, would it?
                              No, a Star LC 100C That we used to print recits...

Its now replaced by a OKI something thats liteningfast with or without virtualmemmory !

(Damn this laptop keyboard..)
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X