Should I devote IRQ to my G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I devote IRQ to my G400?

I've got several devices which are sharing IRQs in my box (under Win2K Prof. /w SP). Scanning the list of devices using the IRQs, I noticed the G400MAX. This raises a couple of questions.

1. Do I need to devote an IRQ to the G400? My BIOS has the option of assigning an IRQ or not. What is the downside to not using an IRQ with the G400?

2. One of the devices sharing an IRQ is my G400, which uses the same IRQ as my SCSI controller. Given that both of these devices seem to be working correctly, is there any downside (loss of performance, etc.) with having the G400 share an IRQ?

Thanks.

if win2k is using ACPI it's normal to see several devices sharing one IRQ. In fact, all PCI devices will typically be put on the same IRQ, as well as some motherboard devices.

Comment

Yes, Win2K is using ACPI. I know that it is typical to see multiple device sharing the same IRQ. The question, though, is whether not not this is desireable behavior.

Some devices (for example, my Santa Cruz sound card) don't like sharing their IRQs. That's why I'd prefer to avoid sharing if at all possible. If I can't avoid it, well, then, I guess I'll just live with it.

But back to my question: is it ok for the G400 to run on a shared IRQ?

Thanks.

Comment

they don't like sharing IRQs in a non-ACPI environment. In an ACPI environment it shouldn't matter, unless the card isn't compatible with ACPI, and the G400 is

btw. what problems do you get with your Santa Cruz with sharing it's IRQ in ACPI environment?

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
          btw. what problems do you get with your Santa Cruz with sharing it's IRQ in ACPI environment?
          My Santa Cruz isn't one of the devices on a shared IRQ. I was just using that as an example of how some devices don't like sharing.

Comment

since you said it didn't like sharing IRQs I was wondering why that would be, because I'm sharing IRQs in ACPI with the card and I don't get any problems?

But I guess you were talking about sharing IRQs in non-ACPI environment...

Comment

Working...
            X