Updated 4.36 4in1's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated 4.36 4in1's

Viahardware: "Via has today released an updated version of the new v4.36 VIA 4in1 drivers. According to documentation in today's release, the original v4.36 release changed the IDE filter driver from 1.10 to 1.20 and fixed graphics errors on the KT133/KT133A chipsets. Today's release also adds enhanced stability for the KM133 chipset."
    Last edited by Guru; 16 December 2001, 07:04.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

And give us our daily 4in1s....
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

and our bsods so we can pull our hair out while trying to figure how to get that lovely thunderbird rolling.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The more 4in1's I see the more I'm glad I switched to a SIS 735 platform.
        "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

I just bought a KT266A chipset board + Athlon and I haven't installed the 4in1s yet. Everything seems great so far. What the hell am I missing by not installing these crappy things, besides the instability?

Bart
          Bart

Comment

I don't have any instability on my KT266 either, even though ( ) I have the 4in1s installed.

I guess installing the inf and the AGP is safe, otherwise you might get slow AGP transfers or bumping back to desktop in AGP intensive appZ (sorry, read too much from MatroxAngerMe, I guess) - this is at least ONE area where 3DMark actually is a good test...

But DON'T install the VIA IDE thing. It's slower than the one provided by M$ here and prevented me from burning even one single CD successfully.
            Last edited by Indiana; 16 December 2001, 17:33.
            My System
            German ATI-forum

Comment

Indiana:

My 3Dmark2001 score is 7222. If it aint broken....

Bart
              Bart

Comment

hmmm, seems a bit low, 8460 here
                System 1:
                AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                Epox 8K7A
                2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                SBLIVE 5.1
                Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                3Com Hardware Modem
                Teac 20/10/40 burner
                Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

HOLY !@#$%^&*!! I got some tweaking to do. My stats are a bit worse than yours though:

AthlonXP 1800+ retail
                  Asus A7V266-E mobo
                  768megs Nanya DDR ram (cas2.5)
                  ATI Radeon 8500 retail

Since I refuse to overclock and don't have an unlocked CPU, I'm stuck at 7222 for now. What tricks are you pulling to get that score man? Do you use the 4in1s at all?

Bart
                  Bart

Comment

Hmm, I got 8040 out of my OEM (at 270/270, no other tweaks) Radeon8500 with an AthlonXP@1540.
                    You're using the latest 5.13.3286 (Win2k) drivers? What OS?
                    My System
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

Windows XP is the OS. Driver version is 3286.

Bart
                      Bart

Comment

So maybe it's the (with the current drivers) somewhat unfortunate combination WinXP/Radeon8500.
                        Do you have 32Bit Z-Buffer enabled or 24Bit (faster, kind of standard for comparision since most NVidia cards in MadOnions databse are benched with only 24Bit ZBuffer)?

8399 3DMarks with 24Bit Z-Buffer
                        8123 3DMarks with 32Bit Z-Buffer

P.S.: The Radeon8500 OEM was running at 290/275 (core/mem)
                        My System
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

I haven't overclocked the 8500, so mines only running at 275/275 (confirmed by Powerstrip). I run the default benchmark and I never tinkered with the Z buffer. This kinda has me mystified. I thought I had a great score, and the tests all ran smooth, but now I'm beginning to wonder whats up with my system. Did you overclock your system at all? Tweak out the memory timings or anything? I left my new machine alone and haven't tweaked a thing.

Bart
                          Bart

Comment

1. Yes, I have overclocked most every component in my comuter... . But then I wasn't really at the limits with an FSB of 142 for the AthlonXP. The only thing that was at the limits is the Radeon8500, since it's an OEM the mem won't do more than 275 (=your Retails speed), the core does about 290 without artifacts which is higher than your 275.

2. But still I even got a 74xx when running 3DMark2k1 after I freshly installed the card (that was running at 250/250 then), so your score is not way off, but it's still more on the lower end, especially when thinking you have a KT266A which has quite a bit higher RAM bandwidth than my KT266 (3DMark is VERY sensible to mem-speed).

3. If the card works now, don't mess with it. Who really cares for 3DMarks2001? There's a point when something is "fast enough", there's no reason in pushing it faster and making things unstable.
                            My System
                            German ATI-forum

Comment

Well, usually I don't care about benchmarking either. BUT I'm not sure whether its the Christmas season affecting me or not, but I have this strange urge to utterly obliterate the 3DM2001 score of some nvidiots I know. I'm am SICK of those people, and I'm getting sick of morons bashing ATI who've never even owned an ATI card. It appears I will have to get better Athlon cooling and crush them. Thanks for the info.

Bart
                              Bart

Comment

Working...
                              X