Home networking problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home networking problem

I must call upon the MURC geniuses for aid. This is my home setup (bought some new toys recently):

Rig #1:
    Dual P3-933 rig connected to cable modem
    2 NICS (one for cable, one for rig #2)
    ATI Radeon 64 VIVO
    768megs ram / Abit VP6 mobo
    80 gig RAID0 array on HPT370 controller
    ZONE ALARM
    Windows XP Pro

Rig #2:
    Athlon XP 1800+
    1 NIC connected to rig #1 at 100mbps thru crossover cable
    ATI Radeon 8500
    768megs DDR ram (cas2.5)
    40gig boot drive / 17gig secondary
    No firewall of any kind
    Windows XP Pro

So, rig #1 has the cable modem, and I'm using Zone Alarm for a firewall. I managed to get Internet connection sharing working for about 5 minutes, but I messed that up somehow.

Problem: no matter how I configure it, ZA wants to interfere with local traffic. I like ZA, and would like to keep it for the internet protection. HOW can I set up simple file sharing here? No matter WHAT I do, I cannot see rig #2 from rig #1. I can ping it though. And I can't find any damned option in ZA for leaving local traffic alone. I set local traffc to minimum security. I added rig #2s IP to its list, but still can't see it. Is my only hope to give up using ZA?

Bart
    Bart

You need ZoneAlarm Pro if you want it to work!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Does file sharing work if you turn off Zone Alarm?
      Did you disable "simple file sharing"?
      Are you using the right ICS settings?

Have a look at http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...p_filesharing/

Comment

I FINALLY got everything working WITHOUT Zone Alarm. I sure as hell don't wanna BUY the pro thing just to make this work. Free is better.

Bart
        Bart

Comment

Here is a very good read about ICS : http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics
          Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
          incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Here's where I'm at now:

- without Zone Alarm, everything works perfectly
            - if I install Zone Alarm, I can make the file sharing work, but ICS is dead.

No matter HOW I set up Z.A., it won't let ICS work. I have ZA installed on the cable server, and I added the IP and subnet of the client Athlon rig to ZA's local zone, but it STILL blocks Internet access at the server when I try to surf from the Athlon client. Rotten !@#$%&^&. I may just have to ditch ZA and use ICF, or maybe use no firewall at all. Arrrrgh!! The more I drink, the more frustrating this becomes.

Bart
            Bart

Comment

If you have an OLD pentium box lying around, put linux on it and get that to do the work

It was my solution here, after I turned off the Win 2k Server

Dan
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

> I cannot see rig #2 from rig #1 [which has ZA]
                > "I added rig #2s IP to [ZA's] list, but still can't see it."

Where did you add rig #2's IP in ZA?
                Make sure you're adding the IP in the "Other Computers" area.
                (<a href="http://www.zonelabs.com/zonealarm/help/How_to_add_sites_to_the_Local_zone.htm">screenshot </a>)

Comment

OJ:

Did that. I finally gave up on ZA and just used ICF instead. I'm not as protected now, but at least it works.

Sasq:

Thanks for the info, but as I said above, I went ICF instead.

Bart
                  Bart

Comment

Zonealarm although nice and free once it's decided it's going to mess up it's a bugger to figure out.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

ZA will work as soon as you lower the Security (Paranoid) Levels to Medium for internet and low for local

Before I did that ZA killed Internet sharing for me to....

But there is no need to get the Pro.....
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Technoid:

If you set it that way, will it let ICS work? I had internet security set to high and local set to low and it still hosed me, so I uninstalled it.

Bart
                        Bart

Comment

According to the ZA website to use ICS you need to have your internet security at medium settings. When i used to use ICS i had to turn ZA down everytime the other pc booted up otherwise it couldnt acces the net.
                          1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                          Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                          Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Hmmmm. Veeerrry interesting. Perhaps I don't have to give up ZA after all. Heck, I might just say "screw it" and buy a router after Xmas. No need for ZA then. Thanks for the info folks!

Bart
                            Bart

Comment

Well my zonealarm worked fine with ics until I changed the network card. It asked if the new card could have access I said yes and everything stopped working including the home network. Nothing would make it change it's mind.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X