Longest Serving Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest Serving Hardware

OK we've had crappiest hardware now how about longest serving?

Matrox Millennium 4MB
    Purchased some time around May 1995
    Cost £325
    Still in a PC I have running 24/7

Hewlett Packard 2X SCSI CDR
    Purchased some time in 1996 I think
    Cost £550
    Still my only means of burnin' CDs but just about to be retired as it won't work if it gets a little warm

Network card: since 1997. DEC Tulip chip, from before Intel bought it out and still produces the same chip.

Keyboard: also since 97.

My AWE 64 is not in my machine anymore, but it's still serving faithfully.

Other than that, I usually financed my upgrades by selling old systems, I lose track of most of them over time.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Don't really know if it's picted as 'hardware', but my Fortron PSU (200W) got me through all these years, no matter how much I threw at it. Until yesterday it blew up with a big spark, lots of smoke and a smell that's still not out of this room

No damage to the mobo or anything else. Probably the old one had inhaled too much dust and smoke. But it has served me well the past 4 years. If I had a garden, I would bury it

Wonder how long the new 300W nobrand PSU will last

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Media Vision Proaudio 16 bit ISA soundcard. Purchased in 1993 and still in use in my 1200 MHz Tbird system.

Sounds okay for my video work, but I get wierd feedback when I have Windoze sounds enabled, and when I try to play streaming audio off the internet. Looking at the current crop of Philips soundcards for a possible replacement.

At $125 new, I definitely got my money's worth.

Kevin

Comment

Wang Model 724 <a href="http://home.cogeco.ca/~mikebeauchamp/stuff/wangpc-xc3-2/wangpc-xc3-206.html">terminal keyboard</a>
          Acquired 1991
          Cost 0
          Best keyboard I've ever used -- typing on it right now

Dell Optiplex P75
          Purchased 1994
          Cost ~2100
          About to be brought out of retirement as a linux box

Comment

My motherboard, the Intel Atlanta 440LX. One of the first mainboards to support the Pentium II, has been serving me reliably for 4 years, as I never had any lockups or other kind of problems, and just now starting to show its age as I can´t play RTCW and Myth III decently. However, I´ll put in a Geforce 2 MX400 on Monday and see if it lasts a bit longer. It doesn´t have any AGP voltage problems with the original Geforce 256DDR, and so it will not have with the MX400, as its power requirements are inferior. Yesterday I found out that it supports up to a Celeron II 766Mhz with a proper slocket. Talk about longevity!

Comment

Of course two of those wondrous original IBM keyboards discussed before in topics such as these:

Comment

I would say my Matrox Millennium card as well. It's a 2MB PCI card that originally came in an old Gateway machine so I don't have the exact cost of it. I got the machine in December of 1995 and it served in that P133 until earlier this year, when I moved it to a Celeron 466.

Comment

Probaby our Apple IIc. Purchased sometime in the mid to late 80's, maybe 86 or 87. Stopped using it in about 1990 when we bought a new Gateway 386 just after the 486 came out (the 486 is the time reference, so the year may be a little off). Kept the Gateway up and running until about 1998......BUT....in 2000 we booted up the 'ole Apple and it still ran. I even played some "Lemonade Stand".

Can't remember what we did with it after that, though....

b
                  Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

My Desk Everything else has been part-ex'd to fund upgrades. I'd like to say the keyboard, but it died last year. My Pioneer 103S could be the oldest item (region free ) Oh and my G400, but that is now waiting for a PC to reside in
                    Last edited by Fat Tone; 15 December 2001, 14:56.
                    FT.

Comment

An ATI Mach 64 1 MB PCI purchased sometime in 94 I think, still going "strong" in a very old setup...

Comment

Forgot something...
                        My Creative Labs SoundBlaster 32 PnP is still sitting in my PC, took it over year after year. I bought it in 1996, with my 1st PC. It's still working and giving all the bleeps and beeps it needs to
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Advansys pci Ultra SCSI card, bought it with my first sony 2x CDR, its stayed and 3 CDRW drives later its still in the pc - well in the spare pc as it doesn't like overclocking

Dan
                          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Quantum LPS210 210MB harddrive, been running daily since 1996, currently recides in my parents' machine.
                            "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

The oldest computer still in regular service here is the Amiga 3000, 1991.

My oldest working computer is an Altair 8800, 1975.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 December 2001, 22:53.
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X