Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Modem & Cable modem at same time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Modem & Cable modem at same time...

Maybe someone can tell me why I can't (or should be able to) use my 56k modem and my cable modem at the same time...

I only use my modem to dial into work and I thought I could log into work but still browse the web (via cable modem). When I connect with the modem, it shuts off all access via my cable modem.

Should I be able to use these at the same time or am I just hoping for too much?

Specs below...

------------------
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    256MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.04 Drivers)
    DirectX 7.0
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer
    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
    DirectX 8.0a
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer

Win 9X/ME can't do what you want, but Windows 2000 does not have this limitation.

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Not sure why you have a problem with this. I have no problems using my DSL and dial-up modem at the same time (and that's in Win 98). It might be a problem/conflict somewhere in your network settings.

Comment

I also have no problem using my modem and DSL simultaneously in Win98SE.

In your Network Properties, do you have:

Client for Microsoft Networks
        Microsoft Family Logon
        Dial-Up Adapter
        Ethernet Adapter
        TCP/IP->Dial-Up Adapter
        TCP/IP->Ethernet Adapter

What kind of modem are you using for Dial-Up?

Comment

Hmm. I don't understand how this would work. Do you guys mean the cable modem and dial-up both going at the same time? Or do you mean only one at a time? I believe in Win9x (not sure about 2000, still new to it) DUN connections take priority over LAN (cable modem) connections, so the cable doesn't work until the DUN connection is closed.

Comment

Is your computer trying to put both of these connections on the same IP? That would be bad.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

LS - I can have two windows open at the same time. One is IE from DSL and the other is my work DECNET on Dial-up. Both active. (Two different ISPs, I might add). If you only have one ISP, then they may limit you to one connection at any time.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 14 December 2000).]

Comment

Anyone have any suggestions on what I would need to change to keep both active at the same time?

I was surfing & using mIRC, I connected with my modem and my IRC sessions were terminated and my browser no longer worked.

I guess I'm just looking for a way to work from home (or at least give that impression... and still be able to play at will....

Any ideas of settings or anything to change would be appreciated.

AMH
                PIII 550@605
                IWill Motherboard VD133
                VIA Chipset
                512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                DirectX 8.0a
                SB Live! Value
                8x DVD (Toshiba)
                6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                3Com CMX Cable Modem
                Optiquest V95 19"
                HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                Microtek flatbed scanner
                Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

One cannot use both at the same time or major clashes occur. I've had both Cable and a dialup running but not at the same time. If I oopsed major problems occured. Just like when using dual or "Shotgun" modems, the ISP must be configured to handle the packet delegation for it to work correctly(analogous to a RAID array but using IDE and SCSI simultaneously in an attempt to pull it off).
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

You can do this at the same time. You need to set static routes for this to work right. This way, all of your work info goes towards modem and all of your personal browsing fo towards your cable modem. Use the "route" command from the CLI. Example, route all addresses destined for your work to the modem, route all others to cable modem.

Dave
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Maybe I should have reworded that a bit Dave

Most peeps have dynamic IP's, even many with DSL and cable connections, thus this would be an issue.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Question Andy: If you call in to work, do you get a RAS call back? Can't you use that same line to internet?

Btw, I know a couple of people who can use their Cable/ADSL and modem at the same time. It could be a problem with your ISP, that you're logged in already with one line. (Option: try 2 different ISPs)

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Works ok for me in Eudora. I create multiple user profiles where 1 has my dial up properties and the others have my cable properties. On all of them, I have "check email" set to manual. When I open up Eudora, I just manually check for my mail for whatever profile I want.

In IE, under the options/connection tab, I had to remove my dial up entry becuase I was getting clashes when I had the dial up running.

I do this in both 98 and 2k.

Haig

Comment

Working...
                          X