Advice on removing G400MAX heatsink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on removing G400MAX heatsink

I'm going to replace the heatsink/fan on my G400MAX. Now: how to remove the heatsink?

I've read 2 conflicting bits of advice. The first is to cool the card first, to make the adhesive brittle. The second is to heat the card (by intensive use), to soften the adhesive.

So what's the consensus of this group? Should I heat or cool the card before attempting the removal of the heatsink?

Thanks.

The hs on the G400 Max is not glued to the card it uses a silver thermal pad so all you need to do is remove the pins that is holding it to place!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

When I super modded my card way back when.........

I used a hair dryer to heat from the heatsink side so as not to damage the card, then with a good twist it'll just *POP* off

Be sure to use a little carb cleaner to get it squeaky clean
      System 1:
      AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
      Epox 8K7A
      2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
      an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
      SBLIVE 5.1
      Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
      Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
      3Com Hardware Modem
      Teac 20/10/40 burner
      Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

DuRaNgO he is aking how to remove the HS on the G400 Max not the regular G400!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

my G400 vanilla also has the 2 pins holding the HS? I just took out the pins and off it came from the core. No glue whatsoever on my board. (and it wasn't a 'failed' MAX for sure either).

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
            The hs on the G400 Max is not glued to the card it uses a silver thermal pad so all you need to do is remove the pins that is holding it to place!
            Ok.

Apparently I misread a post on Matrox's forum. I thought that the Max used thermal adhesive like the regular G400. The responses to my question here indicate that's not the case.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
              @Guru, the G400Max's HS/Fan is bonded to the chip with a thermal pad that once heated up DOES bond to the chip.
              Not mine it had a silver thermal pad!

Comment

Same as Guru here... my G400 MAX had an odd metallic pad, which on one side was bonded with what appeared to be a wax, or perhaps an epoxy to the heatsink, but not to the chip. It simply lifted right off. I had to use an razor blade to remove the "pad" from the heatsink before applying heatsink grease.

Comment

It seems they forgot to coat both sides on some pads. The uncoated side was barely making contact with the chip... there was some serious airspace between the chip and the sink, with only a small area actually in contact. After replacing it with just some regular Radio Shack heatsink grease it seemed to work much better. Originaly the heatsink barely heated up, indicating little heat was being transfered via the interface material from the chip.

Comment

My MAX had the thermal pad as well. I just heated it for a short while with a hair dryer and it came right off.

Comment

Working...
                    X