Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will code html.....

for food!

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

I used this as wallpaper at work, my boss didn't find it funny
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

i feel sorry for that guy.
      and am pissed at the US government for not creating
      a good welfare system like there is in canada, were no one is FORCED to live on the street. with government assistance, they will either have a job, or get payed enough to rent an apartment, and be able to buy food and clothes. that is, perhaps, the greatest thing canada has. oh, that and free healthcare, non-corrupt government, lots of water, clean air, no terrorist attacks or enemies. well, looks like i could keep on going forever. haha. anyways, screw the US for not be a social assistance type of government, and leaning more towards personal gain.

Comment

Originally posted by matrox_anger_me
        that and free healthcare, non-corrupt government, lots of water, clean air, no terrorist attacks or enemies. well, looks like i could keep on going forever.
        ROFLMAO!

Free healthcare! No corruption! Funniest thing I've heard in a while. Go ahead, tell me another one!
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Free healthcare? You try paying more than 50% of your income to taxes. That's what it works out to when you include income taxes (federal and provincial), sales taxes (again federal and provincial), property tax, and all the various other taxes they heap on us.

I'd much rather pay US levels of tax (and get paid in US dollars) and pay for my own health insurance, then deal with all the freaking tax we pay up here.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I'd much rather pay US levels of tax (and get paid in US dollars) and pay for my own health insurance, then deal with all the freaking tax we pay up here.
            But then again if you don't have a good job or a good welfare system how are you going to afford that!
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

C'mon people, tell me how much you think people "forced to live on the street" are makin an hour? Anyone know the stats on that? Please, tell me.... My stats are a little old, but let's see some guesses.... Forced my ***!

-Dimitri
              Last edited by Joel; 14 December 2001, 18:01.
              "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
              --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Speaking as a health care worker I can emphatically state that the Canadian system does just that: offer free health care. This is a far cry from actually DELIVERING it. For that most border-state Canadians pay their own way at US hospitals. Several of them in Detroit had to expand just to handle their Canadian customers.

This is mainly due to how they handle "cost control". They put off surgeries, MRI scans or other expensive diagnostics for 1-5 years hoping folks with bad disease will either get better or die efore they have to spend any money on them.

They make the HMO's look like angels.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 December 2001, 17:22.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

No, there are plenty of people out there that really are forced. Some of them even have jobs, but can't afford to live anywhere.

Case in point: Silicon Valley. I know of guys that have no apartment, and just ride the longest bus line in the area out and back, just to sleep on the bus. And then shower at work (at a "high-paying" tech job).
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

That's what they get for living in Califlakey. With their housing/food costs and tax rates you could be living in poverty on what would be a middle class existance in Michigan.

And before you say we don't have tech jobs, reconsider that opinion. We have our own tech sector that is growing very fast indeed. We're also very large in industrial video production.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 December 2001, 17:28.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yes, these people should have known in advance (?). And for some jobs, you have to go where it takes you, if that's what you want to do. For me, my only options were CO, TX, or lots of CA.

Comment

There are some people near downtown (Dallas) that have been standing on he same corner, holding the same sign for YEARS. Are you going to tell me that those people couldn't find a job in 3 or 4 years in Dallas Texas?? Puh-leeeeeease!!!

There was one that was on his usual corner and I'll be darned if there wasn't a giant Help Wanted sign in the window of a store across the street. I pointed at the store and he flipped me off!

I would say that the majority of them are there because they want to be there. Go to the next 5 people you see holding a sign that says, "Will work for food" and offer them a 12-course meal if they will come mow your yard and see if they take it. I guarantee that you will have 0% takers.

If you were to take everything I own and drop me into a city I had never been to, I would have a job within the day. It wouldn't be a great job, but I would have a source of income till I found a better one.

/me zips up asbestos suit.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

One of the unfortunate facts is that many of those people have mental problems. I don't know what to do with them, but I bet many of them couldn't hold a job.

Comment

Ignight flame thrower - just kidding

Kindness, where I grew up In Australia, we had the same problem. Youth unemployment rate was 33%, single mothers on pension was 28%, Old age pensioners about 30%.

I never had a problem finding a job - when I actually looked

There were some people that tried really hard and just couldn't get anything, but sadly there was a large percentage of people who 'wouldn't work in an iron lung' as well

And I have taken some bad jobs just to get income. Food on table first, pride second.

Time for me to retreat to the asbestos igloo

Dan

Edit: Wombat, yeah I agree with you there - I was including those unfortunate enough with medical problems in the people that try but can't, but at least in my city the social welfare system was too comfortable and was/is a viable alternative to getting out of bed early
                            Last edited by Sasq; 14 December 2001, 20:06.
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

yes, true that there are long line-ups. but remember, there are also some americans that come to canada for cheap healthcare because they can't afford things like, $500,000 USD for a simple heart attack, that someone without insurance in canada only pays $2,$3 grand for. all-in-all, america leans towards personal gain, while canada sticks more to society in general. all schools get same funding, and we have to pay like, 150 a month from our property tax for education because we believe that public education is in the publics best interest.

Comment

Working...
                              X