Splash The Cash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splash The Cash

OK lets put a few rumoured specs together for the so called Parhelia the next gen Matrox board, it's gonna be faster than a Geforce 3 and ATi 8500 in 3D and have the usual 2D goodies, 64 to 256M DDR RAM. How much are you willing to lay out and how much memory would you want onboard?

Personally I'd go for 64 and no more then 35000yen.

Preferably free as a Matrox giveaway - Haig you listening?

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I would lay down $500 for it. As long as it had 64MB I'd be happy but if they had a board with more RAM and tests showed that it actually did some good, I'd buy that instead. 256MB Not sure what could take advantage of that? <sigh> But if they announce it in Spring then when will they release it? Not that I'm in a hurry at this point. My Radeon is more than enough for all of the games I've thrown at it. It's more on principle than anything else. My biggest worry is that even though the card may kick ass, I hoep they have the engineering resources to give some stable drivers.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

US$400 for 64MB, only specialized programs for specific applications need over 128MB RAM, I am guessing Matrox already has customers that requested that, so they are generalizing their design to cater to the extreme high end, graphic designers! However, I would pay $600 for a Marvel of that card it would be a kick ass against 8500DV

does anyone know if the Parhelia can support 2 DVI , like G550?! If it does I might as well buy another Flat Panel rather than a CRT monitor.
        -<= Its all about point of view ....
        =>-

Comment

Hmm tough call here:

I would want at least a 64mb verison and if I paid in the 300 to 400 dollar range..well it better kick the living crap out of my current radeon 8500 and the Geforce 3 for that much money....looking at 3dMark scores well over 10K on my current machine that gets 8000 with the R8500. Even though benchmarks aren't everything...make me feel better

Scott
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I've waited long enough... If it is fast, stable, pretty, compatible and has a nice set of features I would buy it for 400€ (euro) - no more than that, though (unless it happens to be in the stores for my birthday ). If the new card requires a lot of horsepower I might update the rest of my computer first and buy the graphics card after the "hype" part of the price is gone.
            Oh yeah, and I'd like 128 megs of memory. For the future, ya know
            Edit: Yes, I know I might not get the 128 meg version for my 400€...
            Last edited by Tempest; 12 December 2001, 10:11.

Comment

Hi Leutz!!

Ich wäre sogar bereit, das auszugeben, was MATROX für die neue Graka verlangt...
              Eine Grenze gibt es für mich da eigentlich nicht. Dann wird eben fleißig gespart.
              Denn Grakas wie die G400 waren eigentlich immer ihr Geld wert!

Es sind bestimmt auch einige Andere meiner Meinung. Denn im Gegensatz zu NVidia ist eine Graka für ca. 1.500,- DM ihr Geld auf jeden Fall wert, und bleibt auch dementsprechend lange im Rechner.

MfG
              Tori

MATROX RULEZ

Comment

not more than 300

I paid 300 for my Marvel G200 3.5 years ago. I would not pay more than that for something equivalent. The ATI 8500DV looks good. I am not a gamer, I don't have a 20" screen(17") but if it proves to be worth it then I may buy, if there is a marvel edition out.

Comment

eh? whats that, Torian.cc!!!

If I could justify one (which I probably will ), I would spend 250-300GBP, for a 64 MB - 128 mb model... though I would expect it to be scaleable, and with at least 2-3 years life. (I want it to run my VCR, DVD, TV, Monitors X4?(2 dvi, 2 regular!) and make my tea as well (though not raqise case temp by any more than 2deg. C!))

I just spent 400GBP on building a whole new PC! (nfarce, 20 GB hd, 256mb ram), and I would hate to spend more than the price of my gaming system on one component!!!

Edit - cant spell!!!
                  Last edited by RedRed; 12 December 2001, 10:22.
                  Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

RedRed, don't worry about the spelling, I'm an Engrish teacher and I can't speeel either
                    Dan
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

@RedRed

Yeah, you´re right, but it´s better to pay a lot of money for an fast MATROX Graka than for a NVidia Graka, which were released every 3 month.
                      I hope you understand, what i want to say, ´cause my english isn´t that good, sorry

MfG
                      Tori

MATROX RULEZ

Comment

Definatly not more than 500€. Then we can better buy a radeon or geforce.
                        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I suspect it will come out at US$400 for the 64MB version. Depending on my situation I would be willing to pay US350 (if I'm still in Jamaica) up to 400 quid (if I'm in the UK, and hence earning significantly more than I'd be doing here).
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

For the 128MB version about 600(+) Euro, but I would like to see more specs.
                            Hm.. just ordered a Radeon8500 that should arrive tomorrow.
                            I wonder how long I will use it in my primary PC
                            I hope Matrox will spread more infos on the new chip soon!
                            Hati

Comment

Kick me, but I'd go for the 256 megger, but only if it supports reverse AGP, ie. in case your regular RAM runs out of space, unused GFX RAM could be shared with the system at AGP8x transfer rates ...

Now that would be cool and I'd spend up to 1000€ for such a beast.

But seriously, I'd love if Matrox stayed competitive, ie. whatever comparable card is out there, the card from Matrox should not be priced a lot above, but certainly I'm willing to donate an extra buck or two for outstanding quality and features.

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                              LG BH10LS38
                              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                              X