Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrox g400 worst card ever? or just xp problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox g400 worst card ever? or just xp problems?

I just got a matrox g400 card.
    i went to the matrox site, and download their latest drivers for windows xp. that's great. but, when i start up the computer, sometimes the card just freezes. and when it DOES work fine, it still cant run anything 3d. that means, no games for me. no games AT ALL. it also freezes up when trying to run final reality benchmarks. and powerstrip also shows its ramdac as 165mhz, instead of 300. what is wrong? i REALLY need help FAST. thanks.

Sounds like a loose connection between the chair and keyboard.

The G400 works fine in XP, you have done something wrong.

Rags

Comment

it works alright, but not when it loads games, or anything 3d.
      do i have to install directx again or something?

Comment

Originally posted by matrox_anger_me
        it works alright, but not when it loads games, or anything 3d.
        do i have to install directx again or something?
        Nope. Should just work.

You really should post up your system specs if you are expecting any kind of help.
        Also be aware we are NOT Matrox, we are just end users like you who happen to help one another around here. There are many of us with just about any configuration you can think of and if you are up for it, we as a community can help you and each other. What do you say you tone it down a notch, post up your specs and let us help?

Rags

Comment

How about posting some more info about the setup you are using cuz the chaps here arent mind readers.

Oh and Mr Angry, welcome to the forums; but I guess with a name like that we will only be seeing you when you have something to bitch about.

regards Michael
          Interests include:
          Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

i'm not mad or anything at this site. i'm glad i found this site so i can get help. and yeah, my specs:

Elitegroup motherboard (4x agp supported, new board)
            onboard sis sound card, lan, and usb.
            avermedia tv tuner and capture card
            128mb pc133 ram
            athlon 1ghz 266 bus
            20 gig hard
            52x cd drive (oh goody. lol)
            250w power supply.
            cpu runs at 43 degrees celsius, and system temp. at 29.
            matrox g400 card that I just got and doesn't work.

is that good? or anything else you need to know?

Comment

installed?
              well, at first, xp automatically recognized it.
              but right away, i downloaded the latest drivers and powerdesk from matrox. i installed it. i restarted, and it started giving me grief. I had an inno3d savage card a month ago, a visiontek geforce 256 ddr card since 2 weeks ago, and now, this matrox g400 that doesnt seem to work. i tried installing it with the win 9x drivers, and xp drivers, but nothing worked. i don't know what to do.

Comment

First thing I would try with your configuration is to download the MTSTU listed on the file downloads on the right side of www.murc.ws then I would run it and force the system to 1X and reboot, see if that helps you out.

Rags

Comment

is that a k7s5a motherboard. if so have you installed the latest sis 1.07 drivers.

regards MD
                  Interests include:
                  Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

installed?
                    well, at first, xp automatically recognized it.
                    but right away, i downloaded the latest drivers and powerdesk from matrox. i installed it. i restarted, and it started giving me grief. I had an inno3d savage card a month ago, a visiontek geforce 256 ddr card since 2 weeks ago, and now, this matrox g400 that doesnt seem to work. i tried installing it with the win 9x drivers, and xp drivers, but nothing worked. i don't know what to do.
                    First thing you need to do there is get rid of your old drivers from those other cards, there should be a way to uninstall the drivers for them in your control panel/add-remove programs, then I would uninstall the Matrox drivers from the same place, reboot, click cancel when windows picks up your card, run the setup for the XP drivers off of Matrox's site, then reboot.

Rags

Comment

yeah, it k7s5a.
                      the drivers are updated from september. is there a newer update out? where can I get it?

about the 1x agp, wouldn't that make it worse than a pci card???

Comment

Originally posted by mdhome
                        is that a k7s5a motherboard. if so have you installed the latest sis 1.07 drivers.

regards MD
                        I don't suggest he do that, the included drivers with XP seem to be the most stable so far.

Rags

Comment

about the driver deletiong, i don't even need to do that, xp automatically took them out of the hardware list. so, they're not there. there WAS an nvidia software that was for the geforce card, but I un-installed that too.

Comment

yeah, it k7s5a.
                            the drivers are updated from september. is there a newer update out? where can I get it?

about the 1x agp, wouldn't that make it worse than a pci card???
                            NO.

You aren't changing the speed of your AGP port, you are changing the texturing speed at which the textures can be swapped in the event that your onboard memory on the G400 runs out. You will see no difference in speed AT ALL.

Rags

Comment

Originally posted by Rags

I don't suggest he do that, the included drivers with XP seem to be the most stable so far.

Rags
                              here's the thing. i think i destryoed my original xp drivers for the g400 when i installed the driver from matrox. that's a nother problem i'm having

Comment

Working...
                              X