System freezing when starting TV-Out - G400DH + WinXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System freezing when starting TV-Out - G400DH + WinXP

I recently had problems watching any sort of video - MPEG, AVI, and I think even MOV. I didn't try DVD's, but I'm pretty sure it would have done it as well. The problems consisted of the entire pc freezing for 10-20 seconds, and then respond for a very short time (less than a second). It would repeat this a number of times (sometimes once, sometimes 3 or 4 times) before the video finally began playing normally. The problem was not limited to Windows Media Player, and seemed to go away after I did a complete reformat (been a while since I did that!) last Friday.

Last night I set up a spare TV beside my pc and thought I'd plug my G400's second head to it, meaning we'd have a second DVD system in the house, as well as allowing us to watch any videos we may have on our pcs.

After plugging everything in, I enabled DVDMax and ran an MPEG to test. The result was the same freezing that I was suffering before reinstalling. I concluded that I must have had DVDMax enabled on my prior install.

I have tried adjusting a couple of settings - Bus Mastering both on and off, changing the AGP speed and aperature size. I even rolled back the drivers, but with no luck. It actually seems to be worse now - the occasional freeze would cause a reboot.

Has anyone else here had troubles with DVDMax (I also discovered that the DualHead Zoom feature freezes when it starts outputting to the TV) under WinXP? My system specs are as follows:

Athlon Classic 700 (Slot A)
    ASUS K7V (VIA chipset - bios version 1007)
    320Mb PC-133 RAM
    Matrox G400 DH (can't remember what bios version. If needed I'll give that tonight when I'm at home)
    SBLive! Value
    AOpen 10/100 NIC

WinXP Pro Corporate (build 2600)
    G400 WinXP drivers version 5.72 (also occurred with the beta 5.71's)
    <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"
Working...
X