Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD VCRs by Panasonic

$1499 list.

That's bound to go down in the months ahead.

Jerry

Circut City had one of these in the Sunday paper for $999. It appears they lack 1394 ports so its only analog in for recording :-(

--wally.

Comment

I think that the philips one has better specs. A little more expensive but does have Firewire.

paulw

Comment

Wally,

Surely it has at least an analog S-Video port... I hope.

The Panasonic Web site information is so sparse.

Could you tell from the ad you saw?

Jerry

Comment

I just e-mailed Panasonic's consumer division about this unit a few days ago asking why no firewire. If I could burn a DVD directly to one of these from my timeline without having to go back through the camera I would probably buy one now.

From what I have read this unit makes nice DVD's. One individual said he could not make a distinction between the 2 hour "SP" mode DVD-R he burned on it and the DV master tape. It's got AC-3 audio compression and the whole process is hardware based so very fast.

I could forget about the firewire-in if the price on this continues to drop. Already the DMR-E20 can be had for less than $800 on the web. It's amazing how well manufacturers like Panasonic have got their resellers backs when it comes to published list prices. $1499, huh?

You could probably find some detailed spec's on these at a site such as www.crutchfield.com
          Last edited by dchip; 11 December 2001, 22:36.

Comment

Hi all,
            i think that there is a big difference between the Panasonic and the Philips DVD-recorders. It has to do with the media that each one uses; Panasonic uses DVD-R and DVD-RAM (very incompatible with dvd players) while Philips uses the new media (format) DVD+RW and DVD+R (to come early next year). According to Philips DVD+RW(R) is supposed to have the best compatibility with existing DVD-players but this remains to be seen. A link about DVD+RW is http://www.dvdplusrw.org/
            mits,
            System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
            model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

Comment

These things describe the recording as "Studio Quality" but also says they use "Hybrid VBR Technology." Wonder what that is?

Comment

"Studio quality" may well mean they're using MPEG-2's 4:2:2P@ML Studio Profile. This is a 4:2:2 broadcast quality profile as opposed to the 4:2:0 used in most MPEG's.

This profile is also one of the the main features in Ligos's GoMotion Pro SDK. GoMotion Pro is supposed to offer realtime MPEG-2 capture at higher quality than DigitalS or DVCPRO50. This makes me think they want to make a move on DV as a camcorder data format.

Hybrid VBR changes the VBR settings scene-by-scene using a feature called "Visual Modulation". Think of it as a smart VBR.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 December 2001, 10:58.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                X