Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drive A using compatibility mode - what drive A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive A using compatibility mode - what drive A?

Please help!!!
    I have a problem with Harry Potter stuttering badly. The only thing I can see wrong is the performance tab of device manager says drive A is using compatability mode. I don't have a drive A. I used to, in the form of an LS120 (ATAPI version) but I've unplugged this to allow my CDRW to use UDMA 4 properly.
    Everything to do with the floppy in the BIOS is disabled. I've booted into safe-mode and removed all old devices. I've trawled the registry looking for phantom devices.

I recently installed an 8500LE, but there are absolutely no reports that I can find of an incompatability there.

Please help!!!

TIA

Tony.
    FT.

How can compatibility mode on your A drive cause a speech impediment in a fictional character? You couldn't possibly be talking about playback issues since the movie hasn't been released on dvd yet... right? Right?

Ok, I really don't have anything of value to add, so I'll shut up now...
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

You can use tweakUI to get rid of the A: if you don't have a floppy installed.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

This is the old:

W9x is not the smartest OS in the world!

W9x "knows" that a FDD is esential for a computer!

So it don't care about reality and ads a FDD even if it has never been a fdd conected at all!!

Then it complains about that the non existing fdd (that only exist in w9x warped mind) is not working corectly....
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

have a read of this!

Comment

I dont have a floppy drive.... I hate the way windows grinds to a halt every time it access the drive. Having said that, my entire computer was brought to its knees when i couldn't install Win2K as I didn't have my SCSI RAID drive on floppy.
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Andrew - I'll take that as a challenge, you Muggle

Ayoub - as ever, the human reference machine strikes again

So, based on that and what Paddy said, I'll try TweakUI first(easy). If that doesn't work then (inferred from the M$ site as my controller is disabled) I need to find the address space my FDD controller would use, and change whatever else is using it?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a go when I get home.

Tony.
              FT.

Comment

There's always the option to disable the floppy drive controller in this hardware profile in Device Manager, or not using automatic settings in the Resources tab.

Btw, I have an LS-120. In the BIOS I disabled everything about the floppy drive controller, but in WinME the FDC is **poof** back It is taking up IRQ6, so you might want to check if anything you use when you try to play HP is using IRQ6.

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jord - my floppy controller doesn't appear in device manager. I do have something on IRQ6, but can't remember what atm. I'll check later.

Thanks, Tony.
                  FT.

Comment

There's always the option to disable the floppy drive controller in this hardware profile in Device Manager, or not using automatic settings in the Resources tab.
                    Windows happily reports that my floppy drive is working OK in device manager.... I cant seem to find it anywhere though...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]

Windows happily reports that my floppy drive is working OK in device manager.... I cant seem to find it anywhere though...
                      Nothing ever goes wrong in Windows, why report anything to the contrary?

b
                      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Well, TweakUI just removes whichever drive you choose from those available for browsing. My problem remains.

Nothing was using IRQ6. I tried re-enabling the FDC, then removing it. No luck. Nothing is using the IRQ, DMA or address range it was using whilst reenabled (although my 8500 is very close for I/O).

Even if I get rid of this problem, what are the chances it'll fix HP anyway?

Thanks for all the advice and wry comments

Tony.
                        FT.

Comment

The only way to realy fix the problem since it's a HUGE bug in W9x is to actualy add a FDD!!

W9x can't handle the situation where there is no FDD!!!

Those that programmed W9x never thought that someone would have a computer without a FDD (well it does work on motherboards that DON'T have a FDD controller, but that another story)!!

If you don't like the look of a FDD, then fine leave it inside your case and forget it!

I have a FDD in my computer because of these problems....

In my NLE computer I dont have one and I tried everything!

NO SUCCSESS!!
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Thanks for the insight, Technoid. I suppose the remaining question is: Does this matter? If only A: has this issue is there any evidence it can affect anything else, like perhaps my HP problem?

Cheers

Tony.
                            FT.

Comment

I'm still a bit confused. Is HP a movie (Divx) or a game?
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X