Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for PCI gaming card ?

Hello,

Perhaps a weird question, but I'd like to upgrade my system a little (the G200 just isn't enough for gaming, and I'd like a TV-out feature - not present on the Millenium G200 and it seems a bit of a "lost upgrade" now).

I thought about buying a new AGP videocard, but as I intend to upgrade my system somewhere next year (approx. 3rd quarter), I am considering either a decent AGP card now, or a good PCI card now and a new AGP card next year (hopefully matrox ?). The soundcard is also in need of upgrade, but this seems less important...

The upgrade will most likely be a dual-processor (I use it as workstation), either AMD or P4 (if that will be available...).

I thought about a Kyro2 PCI videocard, but there is no PCI-version that offers TV-out.... (see http://us.hercules.com/support/kyro_faq.php3#1 )
    Any alternatives ?

What would you guys do ?
    (current config : see below)

Jörg

Pentium II-450, 384 MB SDRAM
    Matrox Millenium G200
    Adaptec 2940 UW
    IBM Ultrastar 36LZX (10K, LVD, 18 GB)
    Quantum Atlas 10K (10K, LVD, 9 GB)
    Plextor 4220i (internal SCSI)
    Adaptec 2906
    Agfa Snapscan 1236s
    Iomega Zip 250
    3com 3c900 combo
    Creative Labs AWE32 (isa sound card)
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Jörg,

if I got your question right you already have a motherboard with an AGP slot - is that correct? If yes, I wouldn't spend a single second on thinking about a PCI card because today AGP cards are cheaper than their PCI counterparts. For example, Alternate (a big German internet store) has the Asus V7100 Pro Pure (based on the GeForce 2 MX-400) in both versions. The AGP version comes at 209 DM while the PCI version costs 249 DM - so I think this should be an easy decision.

The other question is: should you get a good AGP card now or buy a cheaper card and wait for something better (by Matrox) in the future? That's a much more difficult question. The problem is that all rumours about the next Matrox chip are pure speculation at the moment. In my opinion, buying a cheap card now only to replace it in 10 or 11 months is a waste of money so I'd probably get a good AGP card now - the Radeon 8500 should be still doing fine when you get to upgrade your system.

Georg

PS: By the way - I also still use my G200

Comment

if I got your question right you already have a motherboard with an AGP slot
      Yes, that is correct (mainboard is a Shuttle HOT 661). The PCI versions tend to be more expensive, I forgot about that, but it is true...

I figured I could use the PCI-card after the upgrade (or in my second computer, to replace my Mystique 220), but come to think of it, in both cases it probably is not such a good solution. Use in upgrade: within 10 months, almost every AGP card will outperform virtually any PCI card currently available. Use in second computer: this machine is a Pentium 166, so gaming is already impossible (I use it as an xclient with a 14" as a second display), so the Mystique is sufficiant...

So I have to agree with you : purchase of a PCI-card (for my purpose) is not the way to go...

The question therefore is as you state it : good or mediocre AGP-card... Well, I do value 2D quality... I think I'll just keep my G200 for the time being...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

If you wanna play games, a Radeon is just fine. 2D is pretty darn good (not up to Matrox standards, true... but...) and 3D is nice. The drivers are a bit tweaky - just use the latest Omega driverset and you should be fine.

- Gurm

P.S. Did I mention that 64MB Radeons are cheap as anything nowadays?
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Computerhardware is never cheap here in Belgium...

Thanks for the hint !

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Working...
          X