Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRV110E Analog in problem -PLEASE HELP

Hi,

Sorry, this topic is maybe out of scope of this forum but I hope here are the people experienced and could help me.

I want to "copy" my old Hi8 records to D8 from my old Canon Hi8 camcorder via S-Video cable to D8 TRV110E(PAL)-enabled inputs. The copy is perfect BUT sometimes the picture flickers. The flickering is about one second in period visible mainly on darker parts of picture.I haven't found any common conherence. There is very low difference of periodicaly changed brightness but if you concentrate, it makes you "nervous" and the result: "I don't want it!!"

Does anybody has the same problem? Please help. Any sugestions are welcome.

thanks in advance

Ivan

Ivan,
    What do you think: may this effect be the result of Macrovision protection bult into D8 camcorder? It may be triggered by signal instabilities, much like it was with RR_G.
    I don't know solution and don't have this effect with my VHS tapes recorded to D8, but who knows?...

Grigory

Comment

Hello IvanP

Sorry but I don't know the awnser to your question but am very interested to know how you enable input to record onto D8 tapes via the SVHS input. I've got a TRV310.

Thanks

Pooh
      ASUS P4S533, P4 2.53Ghz, 1.25Gb PC2700, 40Gb System HD 120Gb AV HD, WinXp Pro

Comment

Grigory:

Hi,

I don't know if D8's inputs has a macrovision detection circuits. Are you sure? But it should be possible because this stupid protection system is implemented everywhere and makes only problems to ordinary people. (Real pirates can only laugh, the same is CSS on DVD hahaha).

I'll lend some DVD or protected VHS casette this weekend and test if the macrovision will work on D8 analog inputs.
        Signal from Cannon Hi8 camcorder seems to be perfect on TV screen also in finder also recorded to VHS. I'm sure that camcorder don't add the macrovision pulses to video signal because it's non-sense.

If D8 has this protection but badly implemented I hope it should be disabled in camcorder's software.(Now I only need the Page/address/value to change ).

Pooh (bear)

I've bought software at http://www.lynxdv.com

But you can also do it yourself.
        http://195.119.173.92/set1394/
        you can find there codes, adapter connection and simple software. Good luck

Ivan

Comment

Ivan,

I know that this isn't what you were asking, so forgive me if I'm wide of the mark. But didn't I read some posts here that said that Hi-8 tapes could be transferred to the PC directly from the D8 camcorder, and could then presumably be transferred back to DV with a minimum of loss since your CC is input-enabled.

Hope this helps

Chris

Comment

You'r right Chris. I'm waiting for RT2000 that will be possible to buy at the end of april in my country. It will sure works. But it's
            1. a double work Hi8tape->PC, PC->D8tape and 2. I cannot sell my Canon Hi8 now because there is visible difference while playing-back original Hi8 tape on Canon Hi8 CC and if played-back on D8 CC.

But maybe that will be only reasonable solution. And sure with old Hi8 CC.

Ivan

Comment

I can verify that the lowest end of the Sony D8 line (TR7000) does indeed have macrovision and/or some other copy protection in NTSC. I tried to grab a short clip from "The Mummy" of the opening scene with the Pharoh's misstress to file away for making next year's Halloween costumes. Marvel wouldn't grab it due to macrovision. Tried recording from VHS to D8 and the D8 wouldn't even go into record mode due to macrovision I assume. Tried SCC "color corrector" that claims to "remove level 1 and level 2 copygaurd" -- made no difference. This was my first attempt to grab something from a mass market tape. Finally got the clip by capturing it with my Hauppauge Win/TV card.

Perhaps one of these "sync restorer boxes" would eliminate the false macrovision when going from camcorder to camcorder.

It is hard for me to believe that Hi8 analog recorded to D8 via analog inputs and then moved to computer via firewire would be better than the Hi8 played back and captured via firewire to DV directly in the D8. Although I've heard that this may be disabled on PAL models of D8, so perhaps that's the real problem.

IMHO the best solution is simply to play the Hi8 tapes back in the D8 camcorder. You'll get "normal" analog out or you can capture DV with a cheap firewire card like the Pyro. Or is this an NTSC only feature of the D8 camcorders? After re-reading your post, are you saying the HI8 analog out is noticibly worse when played back in the D8 camcorder vs the Hi8 camcorder? Certainly not the case for video8 played back in my D8, but I've no Hi8 material to test.

There are issues with the DV editing and the Pyro due to Ulead's reliance on Microsoft DVcodec and device control which is poor quality and buggy as hell.

--wally.

Comment

Wally, I haven't had any problems with the Pyro and VS4 (yet). I've used it with the new Canon MV200 as well as the borrowed Sony TRV10E to capture and also controlled both 'corders thru the VS4 interface. I checked the drivers that I am using, which are "Ulead MPEG Directshow plugin" as the capture plugin and "TI1394 device control".

Admittedly I haven't done anything complicated yet, but it hasn't crashed on me or given any "funnies".

Specs Gigabyte GA6BXE, Intel PII 266, 96Mb RAM, Fuji 4Gb boot drive with W98SE, Fuji 8b capture drive, AWE32 soundcard, G200 Marvel, ADS Pyro, VideoStudio4. All drivers as present on distribution CDs.

Comment

Ivan,

In my eastern model of 110e with factory enabled inputs, the manual definitely says about copy protection.

In theory, the quality of analog to DV conversion may be better when you record analog signal from native recorder - Hi8 camcorder. This is just because the heads of Hi8 are (probably) better adjusted for analog recordings playback then the heads of D8. However, I did not test this directly.

As for your problem, it may be also the result of auto gain control circuit, fooled by some noise/spikes in analog signal. If this is a reason, then probably playing DV from analog tape in D8 would be a solution.

PAL models can play DV from analog tapes, as well as they can play and record digital tapes in both PAL and NTSC formats, at least via DV interface and on analog outputs. They play NTSC 4.43. I did try this.

Grigory

[This message has been edited by Grigory (edited 17 April 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                  X