Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Boot with XP

hi,
    i have a question about dual boot with XP. I have matrox marval g400, i cant do any capturing with XP. So i was thinking if i can make a dual boot, with win98. i dont want to reinstall xp again. just install 98. is it possible? pleas let me know.

Thanx

There are two ways of dual booting: the Microsoft way and the other way.

If you wish to do it the Microsoft way (I haven't tried it with XP but I have with W2k, which should be the same), then you must install 98 first, because it is DOS-based and must be installed in the primary partition (C:\). The dual-booting facility uses DOS. When installing the second one, then it should ideally be put in another partition.

The other way is to use a utility, such as Boot Magic. I think this is possibly an application with its own mini-DOS-like OS. Without being categorical, I think it's possible with it to install as many OSs as you like and put them where you like. Check with the Powerquest web site for the latest details, as the version I have is old and was not designed for anything later than the original 98 or NT4.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I tried the ”Micro$oft” way with an existing W98SE partition and XP. But now I am back with W2000Pro as second boot on a second partition in the same physical HDD (50-50%)
      XP doesn’t work for me with multiple HW/SW. Eg. My radio LAN card is almost impossible to install. Matrox VT 2.04 or 2.04 (leaked) are a pain to install and get to work, etc. W2K works like a dream. (yeah, near like a dream) So, I keep w98SE only for 16 bit progs.
      Installing XP/W2K must be as a NEW installation, in a separate partition.

How to quick uninstall a dual boot XP/W2K?
      Simple: Boot from W98 start disk (your primay-first installed OS must be W98)
      Type with the A:\ prompt: SYS C:\
      Restart without the start diskett.
      Delete what you want in the XP/W2K partition.
      Note, installing an XP or W2K for a second time in dual boot makes the start-up menu in DOS to show all the systems installed before, but ofcourse you can't start all of them.
      Edit the BOOT.INI or better, go to XP/W2K, Control panel-System-Advanced-Start and reset menu to erase the unwanted start row.

Fred H
      It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hmm Fred you sound complicated, I just used partition magic, made a partition and installed xp, works fine.
        Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

hi guys,
          thanx for all the information. But, i do have XP installed in my system. Now i want to install win98. How do i do that? cuz i dont want to reinstall XP again. The reason i want 98 is cuz, i want o use Video Capture. Is there any way. I do have PartitionMagic Pro 7. cuz someone tole me that it allows to install 98 after xp installation. i dont know how? Please please help.

Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by vicoc
            The reason i want 98 is cuz, i want o use Video Capture. Is there any way.
            Read this thread, especially page 2. I was able to get capture working under XP by following the steps laid out in that thread.

WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
            Pentium 4 1.7 Abit TH7II-RAID
            HD (boot): Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60GB
            HD (RAID-0): WD WD400BB 80GB (2x40GB)
            Kingston 256MB 800MHZ RDRAM
            ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
            Hauppauge Wintv #401
            Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

Working...
            X