Premiere/Virtualdub Luma stretching question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premiere/Virtualdub Luma stretching question

I finally managed to pickup an old copy of Premiere 5 cheaply and am playing around with it a little. I got some unexpected results which surprise me, and I hope someone can help me out.

I have some CCITT compliant test screen images (BMP's), copied directly from DVD, which are all in the 16-235 luma range. I used Premiere to turn one of these into a short HuffYuv AVI clip. After opening this AVI file in VirtualDub, I could verify that the luma range is still 16-235. So far, so good.

Then I wanted to export the same bitmap file as a short MPG clip,
    for brightness/contrast calibration purposes on TV.

The following puzzling situation occurs. In the encoder (tMpeg 1.2 J) I select the option "export YUV data as basic YCbCr instead of CCITT", so the encoder is not allowed to change the luma levels.

I then opened this Mpeg file in VirtualDub. Guess what? Luma range is 0-255. What the heck is going on here? I see only two possibilities. Either the MPG-1 import filter in VirtualDub "stretches" the luma, or Premiere does so before passing the images to the encoder. Can anybody shed some light here?
    Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.
Working...
X