Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crucial Stock 512MB PC2100 modules

£112 per stick!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

jesus! i though that ddr was supposed to be almost as cheap as sd-ram? hope the prices come down by the time i get my new comp.
    --
    TJ

Comment

Tell me about it...DDR RAM prices have gone up like 80% in the past 2 weeks...Kyle at HardOCP is staying its an artifical price increase because of Christmas. I was gonna get my old man 512mb of SDRAM but I'm thinking about getting it from someone else. I was even gonna treat myself to another 512mb to goto 1GB of memory for the hell of it but spending nearly $200 for all that is too much!

But then again I remember the days of when 2x 4MB Memory went for $300 bucks!

Scott
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

From what I hear here at HP, this isn't just a Christmas increase. There may be some component of that here, but RAM is going to go up in price again.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

oh great! i was going to buy a new athlon system when the 2000+ comes out and put about a gig and a half of ddr 2100 in there. if prices stay like this i am pretty much screwed cos no way will i be able to buy a whole new system (exp monitor) and that much for the ram. not on my student loan. i really hope the prices drop soon.

oh btw does anyone remember what the mobo was featuring the kt266a chip that won the battle of the boards on tomshardware a while ago? or if someone can suggest me a better mobo then please do so. bearing in mind it has to have 4 ide ports and be fast as f... since i cap a lot and so do a lot of video processing and 10 hours a night with my 1ghz tbird is a little tedious. worse if i cap more.
          --
          TJ

Comment

If you're doing video cap, I wouldn't be using onboard connectors for that. Get a real PCI card.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

i have a g400 tv now but am almost ready to buy a radeon aiw 8500 dv. why pci tho?
              --
              TJ

Comment

Because the PCI IDE controllers (if that's where the confusion is) are much more robust and full-featured than the extra chips that are on motherboards. Look around here in GH, and you'll get a lot of posts about cheap but quality PCI IDE cards. Don't trust those "MB RAID" controllers.

Comment

ahh right. well right now i have a kt7-raid and tbh that works just fine. i have an 80 gig maxtor and an older 30 gig WD hard disk taking one port each. i capture to the maxtor and it's fine. i get 18 meg/sec on average with hard drive speed tests on it.

i know i could buy a non raid board and get an pci ide card but i also have loads of pci cards and depending on how many pci slots that particular board would give me, i may not have enough left over to place a controller there. besides i also have a 20 gig IBM scsi drive i cap to sometimes (if there's space on it).

do you have any recommendations as to which mobo i should look at?
                  --
                  TJ

Comment

mrtj1: Just think though, if you'd bought a KT7 non RAID, you could take your high quality PCI RAID card into your new system, which will save you £20/$30 each time you upgrade your board. I have a SA6R-RAID, and I'll never buy a RAID board again. I'll probably never buy PCI RAID either, but that's another issue

P.
                    Meet Jasmine.
                    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Originally posted by Pace
                      mrtj1: Just think though, if you'd bought a KT7 non RAID, you could take your high quality PCI RAID card into your new system, which will save you £20/$30 each time you upgrade your board. I have a SA6R-RAID, and I'll never buy a RAID board again. I'll probably never buy PCI RAID either, but that's another issue

P.
                      if i had tho, it would support ata 100. what happens when the new ones suport 133 like the one for the new maxtor drives?
                      --
                      TJ

Comment

You can play the waiting game forever.

ATA 100 is a marketing ploy. If you are after performance, go SCSI.
                        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Actually Paddy, ATA/133 does have differences. IDE performance would probably be just fine for him, however ATA/133 adds the extra addressing needed for very-large drive support.

However, with that said, mrtj1 doesn't have a valid argument here.
                          if i had tho, it would support ata 100. what happens when the new ones suport 133 like the one for the new maxtor drives?
                          So you'd rather buy a new $150 motherboard rather than a $35 card for your $120 motherboard? Your question applies to onboard controllers just as much as it does add-on controllers.

Comment

as far as getting a controller card goes, i would go for one, if i wasnt happy with the performance of the extra 2 ide ports on my kt7-raid. but i dont have a problem with them. they work as well for me as the first 2, and i have never had a problem with them in over a year.

btw, i do have a scsi drive, 20 gig 10000rpm ibm. and i do cap to that.

the next hard drive i will be buying (if i can find one) is the 100gig WD drive with the 8mb cache. i heard the performance was very good with it. i need a new big drive anyway since my 80gig maxtor is staying with this machine when i buy a new one.

i think the board i will buy will eithe be a
                            Soltek SL-75DRV2
                            or a
                            Soyo SY-K7V (Dragon Plus!)

the soltek only has 2 ide ports but the soyo has 4, and according to tomshardware guide has slightly better performance.

feedback?
                            --
                            TJ

Comment

Working...
                            X