Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400Max/Athlon 1600XP/Win98SE..?????

Hey guys,

My Abit Be6 MOBO puked up a hairball and died the other day . I certainly wasn't planning on buying a new PC this close to Christmas so I'm trying to keep the spending to a minimum for now.

I'm looking at the EPOX EP-8KHA+ and an Athlon 1600XP and DDR Ram. Anyone running this setup with a G400Max and Win98SE. I don't really want to reformat and install ME, but will that save me some headaches???

Thanks
    PIII 500
    Abit BE6-II v.2
    384 PC133
    IBM 13.5GB ATA/66
    G400Max
    SB Live! X-gamer
    3Com Game modem
    Pioneer 10X DVD
    Viewsonic PS790-2 19"
    Linksys NIC

You can usually switch motherboards just fine if you boot into safe mode, delete all of your system devices, shut down, and change the motherboard.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ahh, but that's problem. My current mobo is deader than a door nail. I can't boot in to safe mode first, then change mobo's.
      PIII 500
      Abit BE6-II v.2
      384 PC133
      IBM 13.5GB ATA/66
      G400Max
      SB Live! X-gamer
      3Com Game modem
      Pioneer 10X DVD
      Viewsonic PS790-2 19"
      Linksys NIC

Comment

But you could do it after you put the new motherboard in and before you boot it normally. For this I usually go to regedit and delete the Enum in in local machine to get rid of all the hardware.

dsp
        1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
        512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
        MSI 845PE FISR
        8.4GB Quantum CR
        40GB Maxtor 5400
        MSI 40X12X48
        Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
        SB Audigy
        Parhelia (210/600)
        19" Dell P991
        Win2kPro
        Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

The important thing is not to let Windows boot in regular mode with incorrect hardware settings. It's likely to misassign keys/drivers/etc as "moved" hardware, when it should really just start over with new hardware installs.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah, boot in safe mode with the new motherboard.
            Go into device manager, and basically remove everything.
            Delete the pci bus and related stuff in the system devices section.

Reboot normally.. you might have to reinstall drivers and stuff, but it would work nicely. Just remember to get the current VIA chipset support drivers (agp thing).

I don't have my MAX on that board, but I am running that mobo at work, and it absolutely rocks.

Comment

I swapped from a be6-II and pIIi450 256mb pc100, g400 16mb, sblive etc etc... to epox 8kha+ and an athlon xp1600. To be honest I didnt even bother to delete anything in device manager and win98se just recognised everything and has never locked up since.

I dual boot with winxp pro (kept 98 incase xp was crap or died). No problems with either.

I think my fave thing is STR - off in 2sec and 9 secs from pressing power to desktop with no diskactivity is cool

Do what the others said but you shouldnt have a prob if you are not that careful. Do remember backups though - u got a spare disk and Ghost?
              hmmmmm

Comment

Working...
              X