Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you turn off your recievers when you're not using them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you turn off your recievers when you're not using them?

Just curious what you guys do.

Any reasons for or against leaving them on?

-Dimitri
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

You're talking about audio receivers, I assume.

I turn mine off when I'm not using it, because that saves power.

Circuits age and degrade. Electricity wears out fets over time.
    On the other hand, if your power-supply isn't great, or your amp circuits aren't very intelligently designed, then turning the power on can be a damaging experience. Sometimes the circuits are built in such a way that it's possible for the input signal to reach the amp circuitry before it's powered on, and that can be <B>very</B> bad.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I leave the reciever is standby, unless I go out of town.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I turn off my low-end Yamaha Pro-Logic reciever, because I barely ever use it. Just the once every few weeks movie or something.

Anywaz, time to go looking for a Dolby Digital/Pro Logic II reciever. Pro Logic sounds like crap (muddied sound, especially at the rear).
        Primary system specs:
        Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

My crappy Technics doesn't have a standby. I tended to leave it on, but I turned if off last night. For me, it's kind of a "if I get around to it" thing....

-D
          "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
          --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Stereo goes on standby, TV goes off. I could leave the TV on standby as well, were it not that apparently my TV is a fire hazard when left on standby
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

My computer is on 24/7
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

If its got a standby mode, us that or turn if off.

No sense in leaving the amps fully powered up when you aren't using it.. it just reduces the lifespan of your receiver.

Comment

"reduces the lifespan of your reciever"

I wish it were over already! It was only meant to be a temporary thing, but it's taking so long it's almost permanent!

-D
                  --- Albert Einstein

Comment

I leave my Hi-Fi system on all the time, it always sounds better once it's warmed up so to avoid the wait I just keep it on

In case anyones interested it comprises or :-

Linn Axis / Basik / K9 - Turntable / Arm /Catridge
                    Naim CD3 - CD Player
                    Naim NAC92 / NAP90 - Pre / Power Amp
                    Epson ES11 - Speakers

Plus cables, stands etc.
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                    X