Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When somone takes out your bumper

This is almost worth a poll.

Some idiot at work scraped 6 square inches of paint off my colour coded rear bumper. They left yellow paint behind, and must have left a large scrape/dent in the side of their car. I work at the major hospital for Oxfordshire UK, there must be more than a thousand employees trying to park each day, it will be one of them.
    Do I:
    a) Put it behind me and get the paint in.
    b) Use my lunch hour to stroll round the employees car parks looking for dented yellow cars.
    c) Report it to security in the hope that they might be interested.

If b) any suggestions as to my next step

Dave
    Last edited by dave m; 5 December 2001, 15:23.
    Don't make me angry...

I would definitely tell security. They see lots of cars go by.

Also, maybe report it to the police. The paint used on cars is usually manufacturer-specific, and I bet that if you file it as a hit-and-run, you can get help on finding the make (and possibly model) of car that hit you. Then the police can check for that kind of car getting repair work done.

If you're going to look for that car, you'd better do it today, since the car is unlikely to be driven to the hospital again until it is fixed.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sometime ago, someone cracked my back bumper and left a note in my front window... it said "call me" with a (fake) non-existant telephone number!

Comment

I saw somebody scraping my bumper, yet because I couldn't cross the street (my car was on the other side of it; 4 lane, heavy traffic), I was unable to find out who
        (sorry to the women out here, but it was a lady driver ; mind you, not the kind whose phonenumber you're eager to get - as far as I could tell ).
        The "damage" was very light (actually, too light to get it fixed, but nevertheless quite visible), but it is something that is not done !

My dad once got lucky when someone scraped his car (in front of our house) : there was a note with a phonenumber. He called and the guy came over : "I thought it was your car, but I was too afraid to ring the doorbell. " ). (damage was quite heavy : new front sidequard, repair of the hood, new headlight, ...)

@davem: I would also notify security !

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Definately tell security and make the walk. Hospitals also have thousands of other visiting so be quick. If you find them, do b again. If it isn't staff then call the Police.

Wombat - that level of Police interest is the stuff of fiction these days. I once had golf clubs stolen from the back of my estate car. They eventually came to note the details, but weren't interested in finger printing or examining the car in any way. At least I did ok on the insurance.

Good luck Dave.

Tony.
          FT.

Comment

I only discovered the damage at the end of the day when I went to go home, by which time they were long gone. However it was a staff car park so it must have been an employee. I'm going to have a wander around at lunchtime.

Dave
            Don't make me angry...

Comment

Well, what do your insurance company say? If it was an employee, you migth find him depending on the size of your workingplace!

Comment

The trick is to wipe your paint from the car you just hit and go park somewhere else... or so I am told...
                Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Not much point telling the police they won't do anything if it's on security video and you get the number plate you may after a bit of preasure get them to do something.
                  I've got a nice scratch on my wing from some plonker as well. The spray can will have to come out as it's down to the metal work.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I found it!

Yellow Megane Coupe registration X193 WNN, with a five foot line of my blue paint running down the dent in the side of it. It's in the staff car park today but doesn't have a parking permit. I reported it to Security who don't have it on their books and neither does the parking office. According to a colleague it parks there a lot (having boxed her in once). I've left a note on it and if they don't respond the parking manager says they will clamp it.

Dave
                    Don't make me angry...

Comment

Hey, congratulations !

Hope he/she has got insurance...

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Hope he/she has got insurance...
                        If not, the dent could always get deeper
                        FT.

Comment

I'm hoping they'll be nice about it, otherwise I'll go to the Police and ask for their details to pass onto my insurance company.

Interesting that, having left yellow paint on my bumper, they only left it a day before bringing it in with all my blue paint on it. Not too smart I'm thinking. But probably smart enough to work out who made that dent bigger Tony so I'll resist that temptation.

Dave
                          Don't make me angry...

Comment

Make sure you get the pates and VIN from that car too

And yeah, if they dissapear, you can always add to ther dent in their car.

Comment

hey congrats! yoiu got lucky. Read my post in the crime related post farther down. Cops were totally useless and incompetant in my case. Hope it all works out.

Ps, stupid people! I would KILL for a Renault Megane with the big motor and sport suspension, etc. I cannot get them here in Canada. They get one and frig it up! People like that should have to drive mundane transportation, and nice people who apreciate it should get the killer rides!
                              AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X