Help! Network Problem with XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Network Problem with XP

I previously had two computers networked together at home for file and printer sharing. One was on a Win'95 OS and the other on a Win'98se OS. Everything worked fine.
    I just replaced the older Win'95 sytem with a new one that is on the Win-XP OS. I used the connection setup wizard, created a special floppy for the Win'98 system (as instructed by the wizard), and ....... nothing. I can't get either system to see the other.
    I'm not yet familiar enough with XP to find a way to bypass that (apparently worthless) network wizard. Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.
    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

XP Pro: Start > Run > gpedit.msc > Comp Config > Windows Settings > Sec Settings > Local Pol > Sec Options

Change the entry for "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts" to classic.

Comment

What can you see in network neighborhood/my network places?
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

orangejulius:
        Change the entry for "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts" to classic.
        Is that the same as clicking on Tools > Options in explorer , and then disabling 'simple file sharing'?
        Last edited by Paddy; 4 December 2001, 16:14.
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]

Is that the same as clicking on Tools > Options in explorer , and then disabling 'simple file sharing'?
          Yup
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Thanks, Ill give it a try tonight (I didn't get home 'til very late last night).

Regarding what I see in Network Neighborhood and Network Places.... all I see is the local computer listed.
            My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

You're not using netbeui to the sharing becuase if you are XP doesn't support it without a bit of fiddling.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Regarding what I see in Network Neighborhood and Network Places.... all I see is the local computer listed
                Then you network adaptor is working

XP does require some fiddling before you can connect to it from another computer. Win98 however does not. I would concentrate on getting the XP machine to talk to the 98 one, then worry about the other way.

Can you ping the win98 machine?

Comment

I did some fiddling at lunch today...
                  I found that my XP machine was set to automatically assign the TC/ICP address and cnet mask, where as my other two machines were specified by me. After assigning an address and cnet mask for the XP machine they began to play nice with each other!

I'm now a happy camper .... at least until the next crisis.

Comment

Aren't we all!

Comment

Working...
                    X