Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled a Matrox G200+ Out of an old system

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone out there would be willing to sell an 8MB upgrade module for a Matrox G200+ that I pulled out of a system.

The model number on the card is:
    G2+/MSDA/8BC/20

It uses SDRAM.

Also what drivers should I use wih this card to get the most out of it (I know it's as fast as a TNT).

Thanks,
    +AnGeLuS+

Nvidia
    I own a GeForce3 but I still think ATi ownz ALL!!!
    http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2118921
    Athlon XP 1800+ /w GeForce3 no o/c
    3D Mark 2001: 8118 Athlon XP 1800+ /w GeForce3 no o/c

When I had my G200, everybody advised me not to buy any extra memory, because the difference in 3D games was almost inexistant. Only if you run games in ultra high resolution (+1280, 32-bit Z-Buffer, 32-bit color). Also, it only would come in handy if you own a 24" monitor for 2D.

Unless, of course, you get it very cheap.

Don´t remember about the drivers, though. Try the latest.
    Also, this should be in the MURC´s Happy Shopper Forum (probably).
    Last edited by Alec; 3 December 2001, 19:08.

Comment

I'd avoid the 8meg modules like the plague.
      Many times, they make the card unstable (I went through 2 modules, then gave up).
      Also, when the card detects the mem module, it clocks itself down a couple notches (to try to make it stable).
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

The only reason for the extra memory is if for some reason you're running a resolution that would need it. It will slow down gaming performance.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What? The card clocks itself down?? That sounds to stupid. I have a G200 Millinnium in my fathers machine, its upgraded with 8Mb RAM, and has a Flat Panel ugrade on it... I don't know if its clocked down, but I will check that!!

Comment

I think you'll find that the G200 wont perform on a par with the TNT, as the TNT has twin texturing units, which greatly accelerates Q2/Q3.

If I recall correctly:

G200 = 100
            TNT = 90 (x2)

So the G200 will win on single-textured games, but not on multi-texturing, where the TNT will perform over 50% greater.

I'll check this if you're really bothered about gaming performance.

Paul.
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
            X